Haiku as a gaming OS?

If you have a recipe for it at haikuports, it will just need to wait a bit for the builders to compile the version for the new architecture. Does not really sound like a problem to me.

While I accept the existence of closed source software and I use some. I don’t plan on spending my time making the life of closed source software developers easier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a big if. You’re assuming there’s no assembly source in his hand-optimized code. If it’s in a high level language that’s structured, WASM won’t be as hard to port to either.

Re:making life easy for closed source devs
It’s true that WebAssembly is the new binary blob, but if it’s cross architecture binaries, that does take pain away from it being a real binary blob. I’d rather have more software rather than less, personally.

That’s why I chose a proper split in my game engine… to stop this “try to fit one shoe to everything and fail”. GCed language (top level) for where “logic”, “easy of coding” and “robustness” is important… C++ (low level) for where “raw performance” is important no matter how complex and tricky to use it is. Clever design wins over over-engineered languages anytime anyday.

That is good to know. But, I guess the aim of your engine is to make writing games accessible to non pro’s. That is not really what the pro’s aim is.

Sure, but so does optimisation. Optimisation in a GC’d language is way harder because you have a lot less control over the object lifetime. But, I’m not going to say you are wrong. It’s appropriate for your use case, and that is what matters for you. Others may, and likely will, disagree.

1 Like

The headline points to the wrong direction?
Is it?!

Haiku has enough games.

Haiku to become a gamer platform needs developer first to make the ground layout.

To become those layout developer, Haiku should become a good base system to develop and code.

Developers should love to code on/with Haiku!

And newcomer should find nice and easy tutorials on how to use and code on Haiku…

Basic work has to be made first!

What would be possible we can see already right now!

HAIKU as gaming OS are not realy possible.

All new and highend hardware generated for Windows. Who can create all the drivers for it?

For old System, we can port and optimiert more emulator, but games…

Re: Linux video drivers
Our operating system is an alternative to Linux whose execution is more security minded and less perfomrance minded. SteamOS is Linux under the hood but that could change. Once we cover the Linux end of things, other technologies may be in place to finish the job. All we need to concentrate on is running open source drivers faster than Linux can.

Currently, the open-source drivers are obfuscated C++ and under GPL, I think. If another open-source OS with a less infectious license takes over, then the open-source drivers can be distributed as some intermediate representation other than obfuscated C++ and can be used, then the squeeze on Windows will commence. Until then, let’s just focus on Linux and its SteamOS distribution.

You want to focus Haiku on games or you want SteamOS to be the focus? I don’t think there is any merit in the former. It’s a bit like chasing a Tesla with a mobility scooter at the moment.

Haiku is a hobby OS, thinking it’s going to be mainstream some day is just kidding yourself.
That said, the ambition to run (semi-) modern games is not an issue.
I think if we get 3D acceleration (Vulkan) and virtualization, writing a Linux compatibility layer (like WSL2) might be a nice long-term goal. That’s the point that Genode/Sculpt OS has reached if I’m correct. I’m not sure if SculptOS is able to run Steam now… but that might be achievable for Haiku in the next 3 to 5 years?

Until then, there’s more than plenty of nice 2D games that currently can run on Haiku. Once 3D acceleration works, open source games/remakes will find their way into the repositories. Console emulators might also be nice. There’s many really nice DreamCast/PSP games that are worth playing.

1 Like

At least the Intel “i915”, AMD and Nouveau video drivers in Linux are under a the MIT license, and as far as I can tell they are written in C (Linus hates C++ for some reason).

Waiting for your alternate OS to take over any time soon now, since your excuse is not valid :laughing:

1 Like

As Pulko said, they’re C and under MIT. They’re just really complex and big parts of them are automatically generated. It just feels like they’re obfuscated while reading them.

1 Like

MIT license is much nicer than I thought! I’ll have to look into this some more!

@win8linux

C and C++ generate similar code quality (other than the VTable lookup thing that Linus and I are so disgusted by). I should see what kind of code Binaryen generates with the C sources.

To be compatible with comercial games, apart from the gpu acceleration, Haiku needs a native port wine/proton version, and it is not so easy right now. :confused: sadly BTW

Haiku even dont have multiscreen support yet :frowning:

Actually the design I created is to make game development faster, less error prone, more portable and better to optimize since each layer can optimize the way it works best for that layer without having to worry about other layers. My engine is not geared for making game development accessible to newcomers. It is geared for pros (Indies onwards) in the first place. It might not look like this because I break with traditional concepts on purpose. But as you mentioned correctly, some will agree while others will disagree. That’s normal.

2 Likes

Usually Wine really gets under my skin when it’s mentioned with commerical gaming because of Linux users constantly dogging on Microsoft while using their software and libraries to play games that already have Linux ports just because “it runs better!”, and it’s the main reason most games don’t have native Linux ports.

The last news I read about Linux users: Linux Users Better Than Windows Users At Reporting Bugs: Game Dev

So, it turns out, they report more bugs, but not because the system ahs more problems, just because Linux users are more willing to cooperate with developers to fix issues.

If I judge from the Haiku contributors (which I know a bit more), I would say this seems a reasonable claim.

Also, if Wine runs better, why not use it? Saves work for the developpers and it seems the users are happy about using it. So, what is there to complain about here?

5 Likes

I don’t think there is much conceptual difference between using a linux compat layer or wine layer, many linux “native” ports use libwine under the hood too.

wine runs very well, and lets me play my games, so not really a reason to not use it in my opinion

We need to attract Developer not Gamer to work on Haiku success!

Developers for games = Gamers
Games = More extensive testing of graphics drivers, especially concerning 3D acceleration when we get to that
Testing = Bug reports & fixes
Bug fixes = Better system!

Being a professional developer who does stuff with graphics rendering and low powered devices that have a finite amount of resources…

Users whine and report that games X doesn’t run and go on to every related forum complaining. When asked to help/diagnose and report the issue, user mumbles about time and motivation and makes a vague promise. Nothing is ever filed.

This happens even with Haiku as it is today. What makes you believe adding games will change that? All you will find is a massive shift in the signal to noise ratio.

Users are not good at reporting bugs.

Game developers - time is money. Game developers are not motivated to waste a lot of time on an OS or platform that can’t support their game. Remember, most AAA games are ported, not written on, niche/alt OS. You are probably not going to get the next Far Cry or GTA game written exclusively on Haiku for example.

3 Likes