Haiku Alpha 2 on the Toshiba NB205

Hi everyone:

I have been playing with Haiku Alpha 2 on my Toshiba NB205 netbook and I must say I am extremely impressed with the level of support that already exists in my hardware. Since the Intel chip is properly recognized, the screen display is at native resolution, sound mostly works, and I think my Atheros 928X is seen by the OS (I still have yet to test the wireless network support). Anyway I noticed a few issues with my current setup as well.

• The audio does not work via headphones. I can only hear my audio over the built-in netbook speaker.
  • Advanced Power Management isn’t flawless. When I click shutdown, my netbook hangs at a blank screen after the shutdown progress dialog box disappears.
  • Wired ethernet is not detected.
  • The flurry screensaver stutters quite a bit, even though I am running on an Intel display driver.
  • Mouse clicks are not terribly responsive, but I suspect this could be an issue with hardware.
  • Is there a way I can get a volume control slider for the audio placed in the deskbar?

Those are all the percieved issues I have encountered so far. Can anyone provide any solutions or answers for any of the bulleted issues listed? Thank you Haiku team for a great release! I am looking forward to future builds.

~Guru

you can patch rtl81xx driver to provide you wired ethernet. see here:
http://www.haikuware.com/directory/view-details/drivers/network/rtl81xx-patching

Volume in deskbar (Media = sound options):
Preferences->Media

from terminal, to see what video driver you are using:
listimage | grep accel

You might be using VESA driver.

Mouse clicks might be affected by IRQ sharing issue for you because it works great for everyone else. This could also affect your video too.

I thought VESA couldn’t do esoteric screen resolutions like 1024x600? I know that is the resolution of the NB205.

Also, thank you for all your various solutions! I hope to try them out when I get back on the netbook later today. Also, is there a patch I can install so that I can use my headphone jack for audio? I can only use the internal speaker and that is kinda limiting. Should I file a ticket if there is no known fix? Lastly, is there any config file I can tweak so that my laptop shuts down properly? If not, is there a way to turn off APM? Thanks.

Guru

I have the same model computer. So I know what you are dealing with.

Sound is going to need a custom driver or a program written for just the hardware to handle that problem. Do not expect a solution soon. I boot into Windows at present for that problem.

I just updated my instructions on Haiku-Ware on how to get the wired port working.

I have seen no problems with mouse clicks, but 80 percent of the time I am using an USB mouse.

Preferences/Media select volume in deskbar.

Thank you very much for your two cents Earl. As far as the advanced power management is concerned, that is something that affects PCs on a broader scale and isn’t limited to my specific model. Quashing the hanging instead of shutting down bug will be contingent upon a newer build including a fix. Hopefully that will happen, but it isn’t the complete end of the world. As for the audio, I guess we are gonna have to wait for someone to make the custom driver so headphones can be used. Blast… I kinda figured it wouldn’t be an easy fix.

Guru

For VESA, depends on video card. Also, was told OEM manufacturer can change them because they can offer different VESA modes. You can check your syslog (/boot/common/var/log) and it will list your supported VESA modes. Look links in my ticket to understand - The VIA has lots of modes and my Intel Ironlake has very few modes.

http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5900

Search tickets for headphone jack first to see if one is already filed (add to it) and if not, then submit new bug report.

yes, there is a kernel settings file with a few things you can tweak. From memory it is in /boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers ?

you can try safe mode booting ( pressing spacebar while booting ) and disable APM & ACPI to see what happens.

I submitted a new ticket for the headphone issue. It appears that no such ticket already existed in the ticket database. Hope it will be fixed in the near future. Also, I discovered that I am using the Intel Extreme driver for Haiku. Hence why things seem a bit more snappy than usual and the better support for widescreen modes.

Guru

Oh… real quick… is there a difference between the Atheros AR9285 and AR928X chipsets? I’m not so sure. I hear that AR9285 isn’t supported by the atheroswifi driver. However, I wasn’t sure if the same applied to the AR928X since that is what I ended up installing in my NB205 to replace the stock card.

Guru

I also get the hang on shutdown or restart on my laptop. Disabling ACPI in the startup options seems to fix it.

You can also disable ACPI with kernel settings file.

I saw at least two tickets filed about the issue:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5880
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5064

Thanks for all those tips… but I just want a quick clarification first.

Is there a difference between the Atheros AR9285 and AR928X chipsets as far as the driver support is concerned? I replaced the stock AR9285 in my netbook with the AR928X. I know the AR928X is capable of 802.11n, but nothing else is really different about it from the stock wifi chip.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Guru