Haiku Activity & Contract Report, June 2023 | Haiku Project

As is the usual way of things, the monthly Activity Report is hereby combined with my Contract Report.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/waddlesplash/2023-07-14_haiku_activity_contract_report_june_2023
23 Likes

Thank you for the good works – fixes, enhancements – on all areas.

There was reported pkgman enhancement “info”. Thats very nice and will be useful.

I would like ask to investigate to attempt to implement
– 2 new possible commands to pkgman
and
–1 new modified ooutput of packages offered to upgrade

those would be very useful for such persons like me
(Who trust packages on Beta better as it is not bleeding edge (isn’t it ?) like nightlies … Haha and then bumm … you just use such combo of apps the devewloper will never face it the problem - as :
– Does not use that specific app
– Or not that way as you use it, but you like to use it that way.and struggle to get back the previous status.
Anyway. Get back to the main stuff.)

So output of list of packages
found for update or sync to repository at package update/sync commands
also should enlist the application names depend on offered new version of
(mostly library) packages to be able to decide to remain on existing version
or upgrade anyway.
it is some opposite to resolve dependencies - I mean it shows them from other directions . It would enlist applications that depends on libraries or some non -GUI programs/Haiku apps.

And now the 2 commands

1.)

pkgman downgrade <package>

It’s obvious – downgrade 1 single package that updated or updateded altogether with more packages. I know we can select previous status at boot option.
I would like to downgrade immediately without a reboot - I mean if it had not cause Haiku crash just application crash. I would skip reboot, hunt to catch boot option menu, select previous status, etc.

2.)

pkgman revert-update

It’s also crystal clear - it comes handy if more packages updated and you cant or don’t want to find out which package(s) caused your big or annoying problem but want to resolve instant the issue you are facing with - right now.
I assume – as all replaced packages are saved already by default – it should not be too complicated to implement.
I just want a more simple command to revert all back than to copy back files manually meanwhile I was pumped up near-exploding by frustrating “results” of last update when I enabled all boldly go … along with my trust in “progress”

(The experience is fresh : last libebml new version blocked VLC to accept directoriy with videos – if I drag and drop dirs onto VLC … instantly crashed after update.
After half a dozent reboot finally get into boot menu - turned out at least 2 times it was in progress, but I could not believe it takes so long to build up all.
I would appreciate some feedback from bootloader after the catch was success :
Relax man ! Do not shatter your Opt/Space key any longer !
Congratulate my poor friend - you could achieve to catch the ring bell – we are working on your request to construct a proper boot menu for ya! "
or just sume blinking heart character ? as bootloader must be small ?
Anyway - I cuold select the previous status when this lib was still OK for VLC, so especially for me 8D
I suspect I must do some manual delete copy stuff to avoid boot menu sufferings… as still thers no downgrade command … available)

2 Likes

Taking about pkgman, pkgman fix-missing to attempt to install all missing dependencies would also be nice.

3 Likes

Great porgress again, thanks to all involved! :ok_hand:

Thank you all for the great work! Really appreciated!

Thank you for this new report