Haiku Activity & Contract Report, July 2022 | Haiku Project

As is now the usual way of things, the monthly Activity Report is hereby combined with my Contract Report.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/waddlesplash/2022-08-09_haiku_activity_contract_report_july_2022/
25 Likes

Thank you @waddlesplash for this report. I am always eager to read it as soon as new month starts :slight_smile: I definitely will test radeon_hd automatic fallback to VESA / FB. This one is important for me (of course, I also await for working radeon_hd some day). All other news (WiFi drivers, XFS, FUSE, ARM, GTK) are also nice to see here.

1 Like

What is a "hamburger menu" operation mode? It doesn’t sound very palatable to begin with…

It’s the name given to menus that instead of having a complete menubar, put all the items in a menu that is open by pressing a single button. Usually the button icon is three horizontal lines, supposed to look like a menu with 3 items, but people have nichnamed it “hamburger” as it also looks vaguely like a stylized bread-meat-bread stack.

This type of menu appeared on phones where it made sense to save screenspace and have rather square-ish shaped buttons, but now ofr some reason it spreads to Desktop systems, where it is a bit nonsensical because there is a lot more space so we don’t need to hide menus this way, and our pointing devices are more precise, so items don’t need to be relatively large squares.

1 Like

That menu button is quite old actually. It first appeared on Xerox Star workstations (1981) with GlobalView desktop environment.

7 Likes

Then, with all due respect to the venerable Xerox Star, I’d venture that the “hamburger menu” makes little to no sense on a modern desktop and there’s little point spending time to make it work.

1 Like

Luckily the apple Lisa introduced a better menubar.

Can you explain why it is used by Haiku?

It isn’t.
It’s dead code that waddlesplash fixed, for some reason.

Anyway it was added here: https://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/commit/src/apps/webpositive?id=e6809b325a8abd0f8a2b83e366b5483358fc15b6

1 Like

It isn’t yet. I see Manjaro Plasma and other Linux based distributions are coming to small touch screens. Why not other operating systems like Haiku? I bought a PinePhone just to run Genode on it for some added security.

I see no problems to bring Haiku on mobile touch devices, but please don’t break desktop interface. Haiku on smartphone will need separate interface.

6 Likes

KDE has two separate interfaces, Plasma Desktop and Plasma Mobile. The latter is what’s being shipped on the PinePhone, although they do share some convergent applications.

If Haiku were to end up on mobile, it should prolly also be with a separate and dedicated interface (maybe even different apps altogether).

Further discussions on this have occurred here on the forum, along with some UI mockups:

Thanks for the link to last December’s discussion. I think the “hamburger menu” button belongs on a tablet and phone interface product. Most likely a separate fork for mobile. Perhaps we should move discussion to the other thread regarding the “Maple fork” for glass elevator features.

It is used on this very page.

Yes, disquss is a forum software we don’t develop or maintain.

If we had the ressources we could probably make a much better software than this “web 2.0” “cool” stuff.
There are lots of things wrong with the software but fwiw it does fullfil its primary role, to let people communicate in threads.

Off topic about forum

I like that the Discourse forum software uses a ReST interface for all network queries but there’s no time to make a native app to view it with when there’s work to be done on WebPositive. It’s possible to bypass the web interface though.

Fine, I certainly don’t think any time should be wasted on it. I was simply curious.

2 Likes

Waddlesplash mentioned that we have more recurring donors. That’s great news.

However, I think it’s worth mentioning (if it hasn’t been said before) that the PayPal fees for small transactions are very high. I have therefore switched to a single annual donation which maximises the money received by Haiku, and minimises that received by PayPal.

4 Likes

EPOC (psion) did it by using normal menus that disappear until you press menu key or a touch screen silkscreen icon. Worked very well and required no learning because it’s the same as on a PC and the same in every app. Unlike on mobile UIs now where in 90% of apps I find it impossible to find the settings menu and have to hunt for it every time I need it even for commonly used apps like browser.

You could use the hamburger button as a common way to make the menubar appear though (since no silk screen)…

But then I am not very au fait with mobile interfaces…

2 Likes

This has been most recently done by KDE with KHamburgerMenu, which provides both a hamburger menu and a menu bar (including global):

Unfortunately, this is limited to Qt apps that implement it. Should this idea ever be implemented in Haiku, would it be possible to not require per-app enablement?