[GSoC 22] Project: Improving the Calendar Application

Time to edit that recipe’s description… :slight_smile:

The remnants of SQL are for importing existing “Events” created back when Calendar used SQL. Those will be phased out eventually, maybe after a few more releases down the road, to be sure the majority of users had time to migrate.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying!

2 Likes

@Sabon, can you quote what above has sparked your outburst ?

3 Likes

Hey! Any progress here?

3 Likes

Hey Everyone!
As suggested by @humdinger , we’re firstly aiming to tackle the Filter & Search Feature.
Currently, my aim is to capture the Keywords entered by the user and and use them to filter through the results, and I’m experimenting with that.
Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be great.

Also, for the testing of the feature, as suggested by @nielx, I’m am also working on developing a Bash Script, which adds events to a certain day to the calendar, cutting off some of the manual work in scheduling them. It’s progress can be seen here

If you have any suggestion regarding the script, please do share!

1 Like

Hey!
So the Filter Feature is near implemented, you can see the PR here
Please give it a look!

Also, for the next steps in the project, we need to setup Reminders for the events.
To achieve this, I do believe that we have to create a daemon that runs in the background, and when the time scheduled happens, the daemon sends the reminder (as a Notification?)

But this really needs a proper plan to get started.

How do you think this can be implemented?

I tried searching for daemons on Haiku, and got something known as the Lauch Daemon, but I am skeptical that it would be useful here?

@Nexus-6 could you help with this?

6 Likes

Do some digging on the BeOS app called Personal Assistant (developed by OmicronSoft) to see how it may have handled a similar feature.

1 Like

i think you should look into the application flags, for example the background application flag could be interesting.
https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/filetypes.html

1 Like

the launch_daemon handles daemons and servers, long running processes on the system.
I see three aproaches to this problem that might work.

• extend launch_daemon to fire events at certain times, reliably (that is, also with carching up)

• create a new daemon for such timed tasks

• create a daemon specifically for calendar and time tracking

2 Likes

Generally speaking I would break Calendar into three components: main app, deamon and a deskbar replicant (although this has little to do with reminders but could fire up the app and show current day).
I find interesting the concept of MacOS event manager but for the sake of Calendar I would go for a separate lightweight deamon that checks upcoming event on a regular basis.
Ideally the granularity should be every minute but maybe we can cope with 5 minutes windows provided that Calendars allows reminders with multiples of 5 minutes steps only (e.g. 5 minutes before, 30 minutes before, one day before, etc.).
I don’t remember exactly how Calendar manages this but a live query could be used to show only the relevant events to remind on a given moment.
I would set a separate deamon in case the main app is closed for whatever reason. It should just query the events and show a notification and should start at boot even before Calendar is opened by the user.

2 Likes

Hey! Can you please point out to its repository

I would add something for this unscheduled event that will happen later in the day. Delay is too long for usual tea timers but you still need a reminder and you don’t want to have to enter a full description for it.
For example, you already started to work/to play/to watch vids but something happened to your neighbour and they called to ask you to pick their kids at school. Another example, you’re working but you have something cooking in the oven. I’d say that in this case, the max range is about 6 hours.

1 Like

No such repo exists. I’ll see if I can find some resource for you. However, you should be able to find the app on BeShare.

1 Like

Hello!

I need suggestions for the contents for the Reminder Notification.
Would Event Name, and Event Place be okay? Or should we add something related to the Category as well?

1 Like

Maybe a text area for description would be appropriate.

1 Like

It depends when you plan to display notifications. and for what kind of event.

This this how I’d see things for a scheduled event. Indeed, in this case, event, place and time remaining are all the things that you need.

My guess is that you would in fact display two notifications. The first, one quarter before, then the second five minutes before.
Event X is starting at Y in Z minutes

When it’s time, you start to display alerts because now, you want the user to validate a choice.
Event X is starting now at Y.

• Cancel that event

• OK I’m on it.

• I’m not ready yet. Please, ask me again in 5 mins
    In this last case you display another alert 5 mins later.

Event X already started 5 mins ago at Y.

• Cancel that event
    • OK This time, I’m ready.
    • Damn! I won’t make it. Please reschedule.

Now in the case of a reminder for unscheduled event, I would ask the user to put all in a sentence. To take the same example as before, user would enter “Pick up Kelly’s kids at school” or “Turn off the oven”
Notifications would show the sentence and the time remaining.
User's sentence in ... mins
The alerts would do the same thing.
User's sentence now
You're already 5 mins late to User's sentence
They would offer same choices as for a scheduled event except that the second alert would obviously only have two choices.

In addition to @Starcrasher, please use full sentences with variable placeholders, instead of a format like variable + “ in ” + variable + “ minutes”.

Why would I want a calendar that requires interaction? I have better things to do than assure the Calendar that I’m attending an event, either I saw it or I did not, the option to ack lwledge provides nothing more.

A “you are late” notification makes no sense to me in the same vain

It would make sense on a phone OS because you’d have it with you but need notifications of meetings and so on, but on a desktop OS it only makes sense if you can interact with a phone OS using the cloud.

1 Like

Let’s say that you’re coding for Haiku. The fridge is empty so you put a reminder that you have to go for errands. The notification arrives. You have almost finished, just need to fix few typos and upload your patch. 5mins should be sufficient but you suddenly found a better solution and you dive in your code again. Without another reminder the shop are closed and you have nothing to eat.

1 Like