[GSOC 2024] Interest in kernel power management

Hi!

My name is Sana and I’m really interested in the kernel power management project. A little about me: I’m a masters student who works as an Research Assistant in a OS lab, so this is totally my jam.

I was wondering if there was a specific mentor I should reach out to regarding this project?

Thank you,
Sana

10 Likes

I’m also very interested in the GPU driver project. I have some experience in driver work and would love to have a deeper discussion about what that project would entail. @waddlesplash @PulkoMandy

3 Likes

Welcome @Sana!

Just as a Haiku user: Thanks for your interest in this topic. We could use more (or improved) drivers and kernel support for power-management related issues.

Reason number one for me to NOT run Haiku exclusively on my old Atom N450 netbook… it gets too hot :slight_smile: . Same with my Phenom II X4. Both could use an equivalent to Linux’s acpi_cpufreq (or equivalent drivers from one of the *BSDs).

Even on the CPUs where frequency scaling works for me (Celeron N4020), power usage is higher than on other systems, so… any improvements on power management will always be welcomed.

(Just a side note: I’m slowly working my way into writing a PhenomMsrTweaker/k10stat/k10ctrl equivalent, but that would just be mainly for my under-volting need/wishes, on this particular line of CPUs).

Hope some mentor is available to guide you.

Being a lowly user myself, I can only point to the drivers we currently have: https://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/add-ons/kernel/power. Might be a good starting point to see where we’re at at least?

Besides that, I can only offer my two simple drivers to keep track of temps (to indirectly measure power-consumption): one for it87-based SuperIO chips, one for (some) AMD CPUs. Haiku has acpi_thermal and pch_thermal drivers, but you need to compile those yourself for now.

drivers/power/x86_cpuidle might also be of interest :stuck_out_tongue:

Best of luck!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

These videos and links can help:

Thank you so much!