GSoC 2021 Progress Update 2: Modernizing Cardie (Caya) | Haiku Project

Some name suggestions:

• BeChat/BeChatter/BeGibber/BeClatter
  • Chatterphile
  • ChatterSpaces
  • StringChat (icon for this could be cans connected by a string)
  • Blustery (derived from bluster)
  • Hububbery (derived from hubbub)
  • GibberChatter/GibberChat
  • ClatterChat
  • Chatserie (pormanteau of chat and causerie)
  • Chatoquy/ColloChat (pormanteau of chat and colloquy)
  • Chatulation
  • Chatulator/Chatterator
  • Chatteric
  • Chat-o-Matic

Please no more “Be” prefix. It even sounds lame as in BeOS context, we already don’t need it in Haiku. Enough with the BeOS baggage.

As with the rest of the suggestions… well, they could be improved.

3 Likes

Well, one of them IS a messaging system of a sort, and the other is company that sends huge numbers of messages in various forms. Furthermore there are quite a number of other uses of the Hermes name, and all of them are capable of causing confusion.
In my view, it would be better to use something simple and descriptive, like Haikumail.

2 Likes

I did a couple builds of Cardi on my x86_64 machine. I found that if I tried to build IRC seperately, it would give me an error. What I did to correct it, was copy the protocol “Makefile-common” to the Irc folder. this allowed me to build IRC with no error.

I also found that I could then modify the protocol “Makefile” to include IRC in the “all” section and this would then allow for IRC to be built without having to build it seperately.

1 Like

Just did a fresh install of the latest Test release. Building IRC did not throw any error concerning the x86_64-cc8-release in addition to -lsupport error.

I was able to build IRC without playing around with copying the “Makefile-common” file as I previously did on the build using a nightly.

1 Like

I don’t think so, I had a conversation with him and he told me it was an easier way to stop your curse on him like you already did with Karl, Koki and many others in past.

You should really stop trying to ruin his life.

Please stop trying to get involved in decisions of other adult people, also try to accept the fact you dont have to be here.
Nobody have to. This is however your own decision.
Welcome or bye, pick your poison.

1 Like

I think it should be time for haiku to move on…

I think there is a lot of valuable stuff Dario did which should be continued and resurrected, like his Media Kit improvements. I don’t have a problem with him really.

5 Likes

What about “Charla” ? It’s from Spanish charlar, to chat in Spanish, but I think it’s sounds good

2 Likes

I agree it sounds good, and will mean something in a very widely spoken language. However, it’s already in use by a chat system.

CHARLAR (in capitals) is used by a community health system, where there would be less likelihood of confusion. So I think Charlar would work better for Haiku.

We have to accept that all the good names are already taken, so any name we choose is going to clash with something or other. Personally, I’d favour an acronym like HCS (Haiku chat system), but sadly even that is already used by a number of organisations. Why not Haikuchat?

I think I’ll add these names to a poll in the next thread, let’s get it decided!

2 Likes

On second thought, it might be better to use this one―whatever makes it by Thursday will be it. :slight_smile:

EDIT:
snip snip goes old poll

Aww, my suggestion is not on the list

What is with “Blabla”, or Discuss”, or “Talk”, or “Meet”, or other non made up, basic words?
Where does those gibberish names comes from? Do not tell me it is ancient irish, or something, nobody cares about that. In that case you could simply use a hungarian words, the results would be the same.
Let me remove my vote, if thats actually possible. I am dissapointed about this vote.

@nephele Whoops! Just added.
@extrowerk Done as a side-effect of starting a new poll. :stuck_out_tongue:

• Chat
  • Cardie
  • Dengon
  • Charla
  • Charlar
  • Talk
  • Meet
  • Chatterphile
  • ChatterSpaces
  • StringChat
  • Blustery
  • Hububbery
  • GibberChat[ter]
  • ClatterChat
  • Chat-o-Matic

0 voters

2 Likes

That’s it, that one would be my favourite :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bob Loblaw approves.

2 Likes

Looks like Chat-O-Matic won! Nice name.

New repo’s here: GitHub - JadedCtrl/Chat-O-Matic: A multi-protocol chat program for Haiku

10 Likes