GSoC 2020 Project: Input Preferences | Haiku Project

I am Preetpal Kaur B.Tech.(3rd year), Computer Science and Engineering(CSE) student of Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College, India. Last year I worked on an Input Preferences project in Haiku as an Outreachy intern 2019, which encapsulates all the preferences in a single dialog window. Now, my aim is to explore this project more by adding the new preferences for the devices and enhance their functionalities.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/preetpalkaur/2020-05-06_gsoc_2020_project_input_preferences/
11 Likes

Hello, and welcome back! Would be great to had Wacom tablets and joystick support in Haiku (actually Haiku support joystick but IIRC is only on SDL apps).

Good luck with this new task!

SDL uses BJoystick to access the joystick, and this is of course available to native apps as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. :+1:

The hope is not gone to get a “all in one preferences” like zeta has in the past and not a window with icons and the same single selection of preferences.

1 Like

We don’t plan to do this.

There was a GSoC project which resulted in “SuperPrefs” I think two years ago which is a bit like that. It was not integrated because we don’t like the idea. It would result in a complicated window that’s harder to navigate (too many levels).

2 Likes

I agree with that. Although a Preflet container a-la OSX would visually mark the differences from the Applications and the Preflets themself without resoulting in too overcrowded layers. And I really thinks that the spotlight integration is damned useful, there, for the average user.

It could be made optional, maybe (like SuperPrefs)

1 Like

Superprefs was nothing more as the same like selecting the preferences menu, here you get a folder with all prefs. And there are not so much to select that you need a search option.

Click the “preferences” menu in Deskbar. It will open the list of preferences in a Tracker window, to which the usual type ahead filtering applies.

Our idea for this is that we need something more general in Tracker, basically a type-ahead filtering that works more a bit more like spotlight. Then you can use it everywhere, not just specifically in a custom-made preferences app.