[GSoC 2017] Preferences GUI Refactoring - Weekly Report 3

Hello World.

Now that we’re almost near to the first evaluation, and also it’s been 2 weeks since my last blog post. The last blog post had a plain vanilla GUI without any elements apart from the listview of the applications. I worked on adding icons to the GUI, under respective categories. I’ve hardcoded the categorization part, after the first evaluation, I’ll work on categorizing the applications. I used IconView.h along with some functions from LaunchBox. waddlesplash told me to go with BButton, so will be replacing the IconView with BButton soon as it provides easier handling of labels.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/anirudhm/2017-06-22_gsoc_2017_preferences_gui_refactoring_-_weekly_report_3/

Hi, nice work! :+1:

Here are my thoughts:

If you don’t title the categories it might be easier to group items because of flexibility.

Hmmm, why are »Locale« and »Printer« under »Network Prefs«?. In »Locale« can be set in which language Haiku appears. »Printer« could be grouped with »Keyboard«, »Mouse« and »Screen«, they are all peripheral.

»Keymap« shouldn’t have it’s own icon, it should be reached via »Keyboard«. Even »Backgrounds« should be reached via »Appearance«.

Thanks for reading. Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you visu for your comment. I took these entries as sample and worked on it, this is definitely not the final arrangement. Well, categories without title seems like a good idea. Will give it a thought. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Your new preferences tool looks very very nice!

I hope to see it soon in the repos.

1 Like

Thank you fudel! :smile: