[GSoC 2017] 3D Hardware Acceleration - Weekly Report 3

Almost 2 weeks since the last Weekly Report, so here goes what I have been up to in the last two weeks.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/vivek/2017-06-19_gsoc_2017_3d_hardware_acceleration_-_weekly_report_3/

it is great i am on the front line to test your work if you want :slight_smile: ia have a lenovo z470 and haiku work perfectly there.

ah and i know it is premature but in future can be posible to have the optimus drivers even if it is nouveu drivers?

I’ve been waiting 5 years for 3D hardware support. Finally it seems to be happening!

Nouveau is basically a waste of time… by the time they figure out how to reverse engineer the GPUs enough to clock them reasonablly fast they are already ancient history… the Intel and Amdgpu drivers are much much better targets.

That said… I have several AMD E2-1800 based laptops x130e that are built like tanks and would be real nice to run Haiku on… would any of the developers working on graphics like to take a donation of one of them? It has an Radeon HD 7340 graphics (codenamed PALM) which can run most open source games comfortably at reasonable settings. It also has a UVD3 engine for video decoding that Linux seems to support well enough (it works with youtube videos with a plugin called h264ify that forces preference for videos that the engine can handle decoding). they make very good compact coding laptops… and have one of my favourite keyboards.I haven’t tested haiku on them in awhile… but I’d want to do that before sending one out so if anyone of the developers is interested speak up I’m on the east coast in the USA I don’t mind shipping for a good cause! I run gentoo on them and can provide a kernel .config optimized for them as well (audio is a bit of a bear to get working on these in fact I’ve never gotten Windows 10 to work with audio on here!).