Greetings from Kentucky

Greetings y’all from Kentucky.
Actually, I am a Scotsman who moved here in 1999.
Grew up with 8-bit systems, Amiga, WIndows (95 to XP), and now running Linux: PCLinuxOS & Solus.
First encountered Haiku at Ohio Linux Fest in 2013, and been checking it out every few years.
Lately @claudiom on the Fediverse encouraged me to check in again, and I am delighted to see how usable Haiku is these days. Some of the YouTube guys are using words such as “daily driver” and they are so correct.
I have Haiku installed on a SSD in an Alienware M15X A08 laptop from 2010, and it is running great. I just need to check into wifi.
Looking forward to being part of the community.

11 Likes

Welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

(R1B4 is the first version that I have actually used myself, having had checked out previous versions too.)

4 Likes

Welcome! One of my best friends is from your neck of the woods. My own story with Haiku is very similar. It’s been a year since I first installed R1B4 in a VM, then on an old laptop, and things only got better in the mean time. Hang around, I think you’ll like the crowd here.

5 Likes

Thanks mate.
Finding this to be a very informative & searchable forum, with a friendly community.

1 Like

Have you ever played with BeOS?

I have not used BeOS.

It’s probably good to give BeOS a try if you can get it to successfully install to get context on what the Haiku project is trying to achieve.

I have BeOS Personal Edition installed on VirtualBox via ReactOS and Win98. Other folks have had more success getting it installed more directly. Of course I have BeOS running on real hardware but it’s packed away.

1 Like

Wow! I Tooted a photo of my system on the Fediverse via Mastodon, and it has really taken off with Boosts and Favourites!

4 Likes

Got one more favourite. :slight_smile: Welcome!

1 Like

Appreciate the correct spelling! :smiley:

lol, no checkspeller in WebPositive (that i know of), so if I was wrong I’m sorry, not my native tounge :smiley:

It’s all good.
I am from Scotland (United Kingdom / Great Britain) where we have a u in favourite.
These days I live in Kentucky, USA where they spell favorite.
Same with colour and color.

Wasn’t sure so I used the way you posted before that :wink: Hi from Belgium btw.

1 Like

Ahoy Haikunaut !

It is just like a post in

Where are you from, Haiku/BeOS user ?

If you wanna discover others and help to be pinned on the

Map of Haiku / BeOS users …
:slight_smile:

1 Like