GoBe Productive on Haiku

(Wow, I registered here once.)

Apologies for the necropost, but I was waxing nostalgic about the good old days with Clarisworks just now. Did anything further become of the Windows port of Gobe? Even if porting to Haiku is a lost cause, it might still be kind of neat to see. I doubt I could find anywhere else online where people might know more about its current status.

GoBE Productive for Windows was licensed and distributed through a 3rd party, mostly to India. I remember downloading a trial copy some years and several computers ago. Does anyone else have a copy?

What do ya know? Here is a link to download GP3 for Windows:

• http://download.cnet.com/GoBeProductive/3000-2064_4-10069275.html

[quote=AndrewZ]GoBE Productive for Windows was licensed and distributed through a 3rd party, mostly to India.[/quote]What makes this thread so intriguing is the suggestion that the developers have retained the rights.

[quote=AndrewZ]What do ya know? Here is a link to download GP3 for Windows:[/quote]Well, it’s a 30-day trial and I doubt the registration function still does anything (it appears to pre-date the association with anyone in India), but it’s something, I guess, so thanks for pointing that out.

It’s been long time since my latest post, and i wanted to say something about GoBe, but this can be applied to the Refraction thing as well. I think resurrecting a software like gobe productive, is more than an hazard. If the software will be developed closed source, apart from the fact that developing isn’t cost-free, there’s risk that what happened at Be times, will rehappen again. Just think of a unexpected thing happening and blocking the development. Even if the source code gets open sourced there are a number of factors to consider :

• Backporting from windows is painful, expensive and need really a lot of motivation
  • Backported code will be probably shitty and incomplete (see Titan, it's impossible to continue developing it).
  • Are we sure then the app will be continued to be developed? There are hundreds of BeOS apps open sourced and just a fraction is continued to be developed, and usually this is done by someone which is part of the original team.

My suggestion is to rethink very well the real value of code. This should be seen with a long view on the future, to create an app comparable to MS Word or OpenOffice the investment is inestimable. Do you think the Haiku community have any force to create or develop a product comparable to the ones i mentioned? And we may want to talk about the interface_kit, do you think it’s ready enough to support so advanced features itself? Yes, LibreOffice/OpenOffice is big, it needs lots of dependencies, but if you take paper and seriously do an analysis on this, after the sum you’ll figure out that resurrecting a thing like GoBe will be fruitless and expensive at the same time. The same apply for Refraction, altough i’ve doubts on the code quality (basing on what i’ve seen in BeAE), do you think a $30’000 bounty wouldn’t be enough to have a decent port of GTK? No offense to anyone, it’s just how i see it, but translators aren’t really a good motivation to invest thousands of bucks into a new project, IMHO.

1 Like

Is there any updates on a possible port of Gobe Productive 3 for Haiku?

This is not an effort currently in progress. It would likely take many man-months of dedicated effort to port to Haiku. It is a lot of work.

GoBe Productive 2.1 on the other hand still works well on Haiku.

The trial version or the full version? Because I have the full version (on disc) and cannot get the installer to run IIRC.

The installer won’t run because haiku cannot access the data parition on the cd. I installed the full version by installing it in BeOS ten copying the directory to my haiku partition…

The installer for Productive 2.1 is broken on Haiku, but the software works pretty well. Need a fix for this.

What news about “Gobe Productive”?

If you have a legal copy lying around somewhere (which you can still get from eBay or Amazon) then you can install a patched version from my repo: http://clasquin-johnson.co.za/michel/haiku/blog/get-productive-already.html. This is not a long-term solution: it is a service to people who have a CD of Gobe Productive lying around in a drawer and no way to install it. You will be asked to click through a EULA-type alert on installation to give me some legal cover.

However, is there any chance that “Gobe Productive” will become open source software?
Such talk was.

This applies only to first-class states (countries) and their representatives in others.

IIRC, GoBe offered to share the source under NDA with a developer, if someone was willing to clean it up from 3rd party code. Then, they could consider open sourcing it.
However, that code was from the latest version, ported to Windows, and was not this helpful in getting it to run on Haiku anyway. So, nothing happened.

What about older code?
No chance?
Maybe they do not have it?

That’s why proprietary software will die out with time.
And will remain only Linux, BSD and Haiku.
… and FreeDos.

GoBe ported their release 3.x to Windows as well as Linux.

The ported code is likely to be somewhat a mess. However, it the port was performed by “warping” the BeOS APIs into Windows (or Linux) ones, then it might still be possible to “unwarp” it.

If the offer from Gobe still stands, I am volunteering to i) identify the third party code and establishing its functional specifications so that it could be independently recreated, and ii) identify the unwarping which would have to be performed.

I can read, but not create, C/C++ code.

The past 3.0 Code, from what i understand, was step buy step replaced with non BeOS code. So No its not so easy. It was the biggest app ever written for BeOS. I think i remember the quote that they estimated: it would cost around 8/9 month of a skilled fulltime c++ developer to sort this things out.

The situation is rather unfortunate as Productive was initially designed around the unique BeOS API and capabilities which lead to a rather unique user experience.

Another route would be to take the old 2.x BeOS based code, if it still exists, and bring it up to Haiku.

Creating a similar application from the ground up using Productive as inspiration for the user interface may be the only feasible route at this time.