Gobe Productive 2.0 (clone)

I wouldn’t say it is. Yes, there is a lot of cruft, but it seems nowadays everything just goes through Skia anyway, so all you need is to give it a window it can paint on, and figure out how to marry the application event loop with Haiku’s threaded nature. Then if you want a native look a bit more work would be needed to implement the necessary methods. It’s not that hard, it’s just time consuming.

1 Like

I wonder why NeoOffice used a Java-based GUI on the Mac instead of Objective C++.

BeBasics is still running on latest Haiku, but with some glitches:
screenshot66

5 Likes

Looks nice and simple. Would be nice to have it stable together with SumIt!

First finding it’s source code is required. It can’t be improved without source code.

Related discussion including author of Writer: Anyone remember?.

3 Likes

If you google Marc Verstaen, you can find his Linkedin profile quite easily (and it mentions Beatware, so it is the same guy.)

Did anyone ever follow up with him? Maybe the source is not in his possession? I mean, writing something and keeping the source are two different things. I wrote a Pascal UI framework early on for BeOS and I think the only reason I have it still is that I am a pack rat. But on the other hand, I also ported a lot of SDL games to BeOS and I don’t have any of the source anymore, and worked for a lot of companies any probably don’t have any source for any of the products I worked on.

2 Likes