Anyone remember?

Back when I first tried BeOS (R4), there was something for sale at Be’s store called Be Essentials (or some such) that consisted of a spreadsheet (Sum-it?) and a word processor.

Does anyone remember what word processor that was? Who wrote it? Is the source available anywhere?

It seems like it would be a nice thing to offer with Haiku as a basic word processor.

Thanks.

wings wrote:
Back when I first tried BeOS (R4), there was something for sale at Be's store called Be Essentials (or some such) that consisted of a spreadsheet (Sum-it?) and a word processor.

Does anyone remember what word processor that was? Who wrote it? Is the source available anywhere?

It seems like it would be a nice thing to offer with Haiku as a basic word processor.

Thanks.

Be Basics. Word processor was Write-It, I think. Sold by Beatware, who have no interest in BeOS anymore.

Sum-It was written by Maarten Hekkelmann and opensourced, so no guarantee that Write It belonged to Beatware either.

The word processor was Writer. I wrote it.

1 Like

Hi Marc,

Even if this ship had sailed long ago, it’s always nice to have news from one of the earliest BeDev developer.

Did you know about Haiku before finding this Beatware/Writer reference in this comment?

Regards,
Philippe Houdoin.

Fancy open-soucing it? Or has it been open-soyrced already?

+100000000000000000

As probably all past Beatware’s assets, Writer source code should be now the property of Oracle, Beatware being acquired by Hyperion Solution Corp, which since was acquired by Oracle.

Even if someone at Oracle could have enough time and will to find where Beatware’s Writer source code could be, Oracle’s history regarding open-sourcing software makes me hightly doubt such event would ever happen.

Wow! I was certainly surprised to see this bubble up after all this time. Thanks. It would be great if this could be brought back to the Haiku community but, certainly, I understand if it is lost. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.