Gmail woes

I cannot use mail_daemon or BeAM for Gmail. I had no luck getting G-Mail working with Claw_Mail or Trojita either–same issue.

From Google:

Less secure apps & your Google Account

To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022, ​​Google no longer supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Important: This deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.

For more information, continue to read.

If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.

I read elsewhere for those using G-Mail prior to this deadline were grand-fathered continued service.

Any ideas?

You can for example switch mail provider.

3 Likes

Some mail clients have obeyed Google requirements and implemented their custom way to log in to your account. So, if you want to remain with GMail, you can use one of these. I have no recommendation because I mostly run my own mailserver now, and I have not followed development on which clients can do this.

1 Like

What’s described at #17149 (Implement oauth login for GMail and other modern providers) – Haiku still works for me.

1 Like

It’s always funny to read Google talking about security.
Seriously,that has absolutely zero to do with security,they only want to force their non-standard crap on everyone because they have the power to do it.
Maybe that should be taken as a chance to make people migrate away from the worlds biggest data-kraken?
Create a nice list of mail providers that work in Haikus mail apps and don’t collect and sell user data,and show a link to it whenever a Gmail login fails,what do you think?
I honestly don’t get why people are still using Google services so long after Snowden and them receiving two Big Brother Awards (negative award for no privacy),and it increasingly hurts my brain.
Sorry if that’s too off-topic but I couldn’t resist.

2 Likes

That´s a great way to make people think Haiku is not ready to be used as a daily OS :wink:

2 Likes

It allows to use two-factor authentication (you need a password and also confirmation on your phone).

But it is badly implemented on that regard: the password could still go through the usual methods, and the mail server could simply delay answering that until it has asked your phone if it’s really you.

Do I miss something there? And if I don’t, is the fact that it isn’t done that way because of malevolence or incompetence? Or possibly a mix of both combined with a bit of lazyness? The latter is somewhat likely, because there were probably dozens, if not hundreds, of people working on this at Google.

I will not make any guesses about the exact proportions of malevolence, lazyness and incompetence involved :slight_smile:

Yes, as an OS, it isn’t your job to do this. As OS developers and users in the forum, however… :wink:

1 Like

I use a Gmail account for testing at work. I had to use this:

It’s… another password you have to use instead of using the account password.

Of course not. But from a user perception standpoint the difference is not always clear. That’s even more visible when looking at the web browser discussions.
I’ve looked at google specs for oauth2 authentication, it doesn’t look too hard at first sight. I’ll try if I can implement it.

2 Likes

UPDATE:

After trying BeAM and Haiku’s mail, I installed Claws_mail & Trojita–these also failed to work with GMail. Hence, I tried using it with AOL.com and Yahoo.com–all four apps failed to connect as well. I can connect via Web connecting via their respective login pages–no problems. I just cannot get the current versions of Haiku’s e-mail apps to work with these three major e-mail players.

@humdinger you were grand-fathered since you were using GMail already. Only new Haiku users are impacted.

From a daily user perspective, e-mail services needs to be updated and the developers are fully aware of it already.

I previously used mail and BeAM daily until Thunderbird was released for Zeta OS–at that time, I switched to Thunderbird. Since Zeta 1.5, I use Thunderbird as my daily driver in Linux and Windows. Sadly, none of the Mozilla products are in Haiku due to migration efforts would be very intense (from what I understand).

Thanks everyone for your replies and information!!

In Gmail, you need to enable the use of those “app-specific” passwords. Have them working here, with Outlook Express ( even for new accounts ) .

All using POP3, in case that matters.

Yahoo was another situation. US accounts ( .com ) allowed POP & IMAP, localized accounts ( .com.XYZ ) would allow IMAP only.
. That turned to be a bother, so I downgraded my use of Yahoo.

I Think you need to configure security, and enable the 2FA before the option for app passwords appear.

1 Like

I considered using “app-specific” passwords and 2FA…but would mess up my current configurations in Linux and Windows. So no!

I can wait…

It should be noted that app-specific passwords for Less Secure Apps (read: no OAuth support) will be going away later this year:

Are there any email clients available on Haiku already that do support OAuth? Even though GMail works well in Falkon now, I’d rather avoid using web clients wherever they aren’t necessary; or rather, the only option.

Claws Mail should support OAuth but I never tried it.

Google is horrible for doing things like this! :rage:

It is a sad move. It will break a lot of workflows.

Maybe a proxy client, supporting google-auth at one side, and talking normal pop/imap/smtp on the other ?

This is incorrect. From your link:

Google Workspace will no longer support the sign-in method for third-party apps or devices that require users to share their Google username and password.
. . .
If you have scanners or other devices using simple mail transfer protocol (SMTP) or LSAs to send emails, you’ll need to either: configure them to use OAuth, use an alternative method, or configure an App Password for use with the device.

App-specific passwords will continue to work, including on Haiku. What is being turned off is the ability to enable ‘less secure’ authentication on your GMail account in order to allow mail clients to authenticate using your normal Google password without OAuth.

I am just here to point out something that must be fairly obvious to everyone, but … there’s a simple work-around for this problem: Don’t use gmail.

I expect many of the people who could work on this problem have already gone that way, viz. Pulkomandy above. I just now had a look at Ocaml oauth2 support, for the Ocaml email program I use, and it’s there but with dependencies that look like a little additional trouble. And for what? I don’t need it.

I know, the concern is more altruistic, on behalf of future users who will be disappointed over things like this, but it isn’t open source developers’ job to make the world safe for Google, and I just wanted to point out that there are lots of Internet Service Providers out there who will be happy to host your email with an ordinary IMAP service that any client can use. Look at web hosting services, and get your own domain while you’re at it to make it easier to move.

2 Likes

Consider the following:

• Not all countries have ISPs which do offer email services
  • Self-hosting email and using less well-known email providers can result in your emails landing in spam folders by default

The second issue is precisely what stopped me from self-hosting my own email.

Yes, but there are many choices of email providers, either free or paid. You can go with Microsoft Outlook/hotmail. You can go with gmx. In France we have also a list of nonprofits here: Trouver par service | CHATONS (but I guess there are similar things in other countries as well).

2 Likes