GL Teapot 60FPS

It’s OK to reply with a question, sometimes. Like when the question has already been answered, or you really can’t answer the question without more details. :slight_smile: There is no cause for sorry, or worry, from you or Nexus-6.

I am not familiar with any of the games. Also, GL Teapot is pre-installed. Most of my setting Haiku up isn’t in a place with easy internet access. As rudolfc said, GL Teapot is quick and easy.

For the future, it would be good if there was a drop down menu, with a setting to change. “FPS Limiter”. One could adjust, disable, enable…

In my experience, the “Why” is often just as important as the user’s question of “How”. Often a user’s perceived solution to a problem leads them astray, and the actual solution to the underlaying issue is something else.
Anyway, let’s not further derail the thread…

2 Likes

set noto color emoji as system font

1 Like

I don’t know how to uncap GLTeapot, but I like using Chart with it’s different settings to see framerates, while running Pulse to see the effect on the CPU cores. Chart allows manually adjusting framerate, speed, Direct Window or Bitmap output, number of stars, star density, etc.

2 Likes

Normally, you’d have an app CLI/GUI setting to disable/enable vsync or indirect/direct modes (enhancement requested?)

Old demos, like teapot and gears, gives basic results. Mesa demos provides open source demos for various tests (i.e. tunnels, fire, etc).

Really Slick Screensavers is another tool…

Just remember the no GPU acceleration yet disclaimers…

1 Like

Since GLTeapot have been used to primitively measure performance since the BeOS days, I would like to keep that feature. Would it be possible to add a menu option to lock/unlock the framerate to the graphic card/monitor’s refresh rate? Locked and it is synced (in this case 60 fps), unlocked and it is rendered at full rate.

5 Likes

PTS and stress-ng are good candidates.

Yes. Anyone wants to submit a patch?

3 Likes

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/18599#ticket

8 Likes

https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/commit/?id=493d3c69f3346eaa10a48d154d7451e8d26b6990

1 Like

Well, it seems it was worth to ask … both sides … so discussion now and as generally : helped
finally it was just done - by coding <|;-{)

Thanks to all the participants in it 8D
I like a community this way !..

4 Likes

i5-8400 UHD 630
defoult window size
hrev57308 64 bit
screenshot58

4 Likes

I’ve downloaded the latest updates to Haiku R1/B4 and yet GLTeapot still doesn’t have the framerate limit disable option. However, I was able to Jam the latest version, which had it and… apart from the FPS counter changing so fast, I can’t even tell HOW fast it’s going (it’s something over 1,500fps, I think), it’s nice to know that unleashing it does tell me just how fast software rendering can be… which is insanely fast.

Now to simply refine GLTeapot so that we have an exact idea what the maximum/minimum framerate is. If we’re going to keep it as a demo, we might as make it more usefully informational.

2 Likes

I vote for dropping it. This is useless as a benchmark since any modern 3D rendering will work completely differently (with shaders and the like). Please stop using it as a benchmark tool, it is not representative of anything real.

1 Like

Then why even have it? Why have ANY of the graphics demos? If they mean nothing then what is their purpose? Visual playthings to smile at? What a waste of time! There should be nothing in any of the menus that serve no purpose. Everything should mean something. Have some value, no matter how small. And if we can make it BETTER… have MORE value, then great. Why the hatred of trying to make GLTeapot have MORE functionality? Even if just while we only have software rendering?

2 Likes

Don’t touch Holly Teapot! :teapot: :bomb:

8 Likes

Or no, please leave teapot in Haiku! It’s like boing ball for Amiga OS and Haiku mascot.

6 Likes

Back in the day (of 3D graphics) a teapot was really impressive, it was a 3D shape that did not match any basic shapes and had to be accurately modeled.

It‘s basically an artifacts from a different time.

I am against the proposal to remove the Haiku teapot. The teapot has acquired a symbolic value that goes far beyond its simple function as an icon. It represents the soul of BeOS and now Haiku, a symbol of creativity, innovation, and freedom.

Why the teapot is important:

• Identity: The teapot is a globally recognized icon that represents Haiku. Removing it would deprive the operating system of a distinctive and iconic element.
  • History: The teapot has a long history dating back to the days of BeOS. Removing it would mean erasing an important piece of the operating system’s history.
  • Community: The teapot has created a community of enthusiasts who identify with the symbol and the values it represents. Removing it would disappoint and alienate this community.
  • Intrinsic value: The teapot, beyond its function as an icon, has aesthetic and artistic value. Its beauty and simplicity are appreciated by many users.

It doesn’t matter if the functional value of the teapot is questionable. Its symbolic value and its importance to the Haiku community are undeniable. Removing it would be a mistake that would deprive Haiku of a fundamental element of its identity.

I urge the Haiku developers to reconsider the proposal to remove the teapot. The teapot is a precious element that makes Haiku a unique and special operating system.

Alternative suggestions:

• If the teapot is a technical problem, alternative solutions could be found to keep it while improving system performance.
  • An optional version of the teapot could be created that users can choose to install or not.

The Haiku teapot is an important symbol that should not be removed. Its removal would be a step back for Haiku and would disappoint its user community.

We invite all Haiku users to join us in defending the teapot!

#SaveTheHaikuTeapot

14 Likes

I’d like the teapot to stay as well, but can’t we create a new ‘teapot’ 3D model that would represent current times more accurately? A more difficult shape?

2 Likes