General System Failure

Good day,

Lately I’ve been starting to experience some issues that with time have increased their appearance rates, which are:

• General system failure pop up dialogs
  • Temporary disappearance of symlinks, drives and files from tracker
  • Unable to write/save text files
  • Unable to launch any app that is not launched already
  • Terminal does not recognize any command
  • Unable to save any debug report from any crash popup dialog

This only happens with the SSD I just set for carrying around the ‘testing’ work. Has Haiku updated to last hrev (nightly 64bit GUID partition table]

Have no clue on why this happens so any insight would be appreciated. Might be a faulty SSD?

Thanks,
Regards,
RR

Ticket added with syslogs https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/17044

Check file system for errors with checkfs /boot.

I did checkfs /Andromeda which is the Drive’s name, nothing wrong there. Strange :scream:

And here are some pics of what happens:
IMG_20210703_100301356
IMG_20210703_100338911
IMG_20210703_100515568
IMG_20210703_100528003
IMG_20210703_100625858

This is very strange… Strange Things all over??

Regards,
RR

A syslog would give us more info.

What kind of storage is it? USB? SATA? SSD or spinning disk?

Did you run memtest to check if your RAM is working correctly? Maybe the computer is just overheating in the summer and acting weird?

Could perhaps also be a broken SSD

it’s an external USB SSD [kingston A4OO 24O GB]
The syslog is added to the ticket already, I just added them [syslog and syslog.old] a while ago.

Nope, I didn’t do memetest yet. Didn’t know about it. Just did the ‘checkfs’. But it’s strange as this only happens with this drive and Haiku so far. Right now I’m using the Windows USB SSD, though this is WD, without issues. The Linux one is a Seagate SSD, also USB, and no issues neither.
I’m really puzzled by this issue. It’s the first time something like this happens, and I have several USB pendrives with Haiku that never gave me such PITA.

Weird stuff anyway…

Thanks!
Regards,
RR

Might be… :thinking:

Will check with another drive, clean install, move files… and see if issue is not there.

By the way, the issue is present on both systems I use it onto, home and work.

Regards,
RR

[updated the ticket]

It does seem like the incredibly vague “General system error” is shown in more cases than it should, like in some simple errors when using pkgman. It might be nice if more specific errors could be returned if possible. Something user visible like pkgman (even if is a more advanced Terminal application) should never show the useless “General system error”. It is also disappointing it shows in Screenshot. Probably no one really tested against a bad disk.

Having said this if I see cases of non-specific errors like this I will try to fix them myself.

2 Likes

Other year I would take this into consideration. This year, at least until now, summer hasn’t been that hot. It usually reaches 46°C or even 48°, though :crossed_fingers:, let’s hope it stays like this, below 38°C.

Anyway, I’ll be watching temperature and if it affects in any way…

@leavengood, more details on the issue would be great in order to report it properly. If could save the debug report of anything we would have some info besides the syslog. But as shown on one of the screenshots, saving the debug report also crashes, which is quite odd as I have no way to get more info on how and why the failure appears.

Thanks!
Regards,
RR

I’m not sure if this will help you much, but maybe as sort of a “teaching moment” I could explain why the Screenshot app at least is showing “General system error”. In the main window there is a _SaveScreenshot private method. Within that method there are a few places which call _DisplaySaveError. I think the one you are seeing is from line 683, which is logging the result of a Utility class Save method. Within that method there are several places which return B_ERROR, which is “General system error” when made into a string. What might be better (that might help pinpoint your problem) is for more specific errors to be returned, or maybe some more context provided in the error message. In your case I suspect that the File’s InitCheck on line 110 is failing, and maybe whatever error InitCheck is returning would provide more detail, but rather than return that it returns B_ERROR. Though it is still probably something generic like “can’t open file” or whatever.

So something is definitely weird with either your disk or how Haiku is trying to use it.

My main complaint in my previous message is that I suspect a lot of Haiku code returns B_ERROR in places where a more specific error would be better to help the user. I see this too in Go code at work so it isn’t surprising and most of it comes from not really testing the error cases very much. Some like having a bad disk are kind of hard to test though :wink:

2 Likes

Good day,

The big question now, how can I check, on Haiku, if a disk is faulty? I wasn’t able to do any work on this drive the past weekend :unamused:

Thanks,
Regards,
RR

You could check how the VM swap is set up.

Check whether you have alot work dirs that are full of extracted archives in your haikuports tree if you’ve been building alot of deps?, if it’s the case, go over them one by one in terminal history and delete them by adding the -c flag before the app names and then run checkfs /boot and see if this fixes the issue.

Good day,

@korli , no swap is set on this drive. Actually, I never use swap :slightly_smiling_face:

@khallebal , no haikuports tree on this drive either. I’ll do checkfs /boot

Thanks!
Regards,
RR

Haiku would definitely use the swap, as overcommitting isn’t allowed.

That’s good to know :slight_smile: As an engineer, I was always puzzled by Linux’s overcommiting policy and the OOM killer (randomly pick a process to kill if out of memory). Bizarre. Good to see that Haiku has a sensible policy.