Gaming on Haiku

Original System Shock has been open-sourced: https://github.com/NightDiveStudios/shockmac

2 Likes

Reverse-engineered Diablo source code released on GitHub: https://github.com/galaxyhaxz/devilution?files=1

2 Likes

Still depends on Windows (DirectX and stuff).

1 Like

Besides, Distributing Rev-Eng Code is illegal. Just so people know that sharing links to such places counts already as distributing. Nobody wants to get into trouble, right?

1 Like

This is not necessarily true. Most countries allow reverse engineering. Most software licenses expressly forbid decompilation but there are no fully working decompilers out there anyway so they arenā€™t really used for reverse engineering anyway. So whether distributing is illegal depends on copyright restrictions. In the case of diablo, no one appears to be bothered about it being freely distributed all over the internet, so I doubt they will mind about the reverse engineered code either. So whether or not it is legal is really only a discussion topic.

Itā€™s true that some countries handle it differently. The US in this particular situation though is kinda strict (too strict for my taste but Iā€™m not calling the shots). In conclusion it can be said that the ā€œprocessā€ of reverse engineering is one topicā€¦ the ā€œdistributionā€ of the reverse engineering is another. I did my fair share of rev-eng myself but never released it to public places since this is the dangerous action, not the former one.

1 Like

With Microsoft acquiring GitHub, weā€™ll see how they deal with this. Imagine a pack of lawyers hunched over long lists of projects at GitHub, grumbling, ā€œThatā€™s not why I spent all these years at universityā€¦ā€. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too, although I have released tools. Iā€™m not sure sharing a link to github would be regarded as distribution though. Of course, it never hurts to be careful!

1. There is a Nvidia3D driver for BeOS->Zeta/Haiku. The driver was based on Mesa 3.4.2. Probably can look at this work for a Radeon 3D driver.

2. Currently, there are 273 games for the x86_gcc2 platform in Haiku Depot from the besly,fatelk,clasqm,haikuports repos :
    https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/?bcguid=bc1-WYQX&repos=besly,fatelk,clasqm,haikuports&arch=x86_gcc2&viewcrttyp=CATEGORIES&pkgcat=games

3. Currently, there are 57 games for the x86_64 platform in Haiku Depot from the besly,fatelk,clasqm,haikuports repos :
    https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/?bcguid=bc1-WYQX&repos=besly,fatelk,clasqm,haikuports&arch=x86_64&viewcrttyp=CATEGORIES&pkgcat=games

4. Some legacy BeOS games in the wild (about 80-90 games) either ported to Haiku or a BeOS->Zeta native:

1. abe-1_0-BeOs.zip
    1. ABF.zip
    1. Abuse_203D_R4.pkg
    1. angband-283.zip
    1. battalion_x86.zip
    1. bd4.zip
    1. bd4v0.3.zip
    1. be_asteroids.zip
    1. bebattle1-1.zip
    1. BeBreakout.zip
    1. BeColumns.zip
    1. BeFrotzR4.zip
    1. Behtzee.zip
    1. BeHyperTTT.zip
    1. BeInsane.zip
    1. BeJZip.zip
    1. BeLPMud-321.zip
    1. BeMAME.zip
    1. BeMAME0.29b0.zip
    1. BeMAME-src.zip
    1. BeNaLife24.zip
    1. BeNibblix.zip
    1. BePacDeluxe_1.1.2_x86
    1. BePatienceV2R4.zip
    1. BEPMARS.ZIP
    1. BeRogue98.5.zip
    1. BeSokoban-v11.zip
    1. Bong14_x86r4.zip
    1. BShisen-1.1.1-x86.zip
    1. C_tri.zip
    1. CCTPBF.zip
    1. CivilizationCTP_124
    1. CMass101.zip
    1. Connect4.zip
    1. Critical_Mass_1.99.zip
    1. D2BeOS.zip
    1. Daleks-1.5.zip
    1. darc-990620.zip
    1. descent.zip
    1. DESLECT25.zip
    1. dgen-sdl-beos.zip
    1. doom_beta7.1-x86.zip
    1. doom_beta7_update-x86
    1. Doom191_R4.zip
    1. Doom192.zip
    1. Doom2 For Beos Full.zip
    1. dynamate_R4_x86.zip
    1. EnemyTerritory.1.0.3ā€¦>
    1. Filler.zip
    1. FlameStation_x86.zip
    1. Freecell.zip
    1. frotz-2.3.2-r4.zip
    1. hammurabi1.1_ppc.zip
    1. hexenwithlibraries.zip
    1. HyperTTT.zip
    1. ldmud-327-x86.zip
    1. Lucasarts Adventuresā€¦>
    1. madbomber.beos.zip
    1. MagneticR1.zip
    1. Morpion_x86.zip
    1. Nerdkill_1.0.1_R4.zip
    1. PackBeNaLife24.zip
    1. Parent Directory
    1. PEG105.zip
    1. Poker_090.zip
    1. Pongeroids!.zip
    1. Puissance4-1.0.0-x86ā€¦>
    1. Quadro01_R4x86.zip
    1. Quake 2 for BeOS Full
    1. quakesource-beos-x86
    1. replicat_v1_06.zip
    1. rollemup-full.11b2-5
    1. rott-1.0.zip
    1. sdlquake.beos.zip
    1. Sekita_990308_x86.zip
    1. slavemind1-0.zip
    1. SuperTux0.0.4.pkg
    1. TankGame2.zip
    1. Tetris.zip
    1. towers.zip
    1. tuxtype_beos-0.6-1.zip
    1. WAB.zip
    1. WIIBeos.zip
    1. xlogical.beos.zip
    1. zorkword_10b.zip

NOTE: There are 481 games reported as available for the BeOS/Haiku platform. Many legacy games like Quake III Arena, Ultima VII, and Ultima Online were ported. Compare to the Sega Dreamcast 720+ game library and the Commodore Amiga 4137+ game library.

Just reviewing the Steam projectā€™s 4730+ game library for Linux (compared to their 7172+ games for Mac OS X) can keep bloggerā€™s very busy.

2 Likes

Whereā€™s SpaceGirl?

2 Likes

We have no 64bit specific games online

Thereā€™s some good games in the official repo, including FreeCiv and Pingus. Havenā€™t checked the third party repos lately though.

Does anyone know if SuperTux (the BeOS port) runs on modern day 32-bit Haiku though? I havenā€™t tested it.

yes super tux is running very well in Haiku 32bit just tried itā€¦

You think No Gravity can be successfully ported to Haiku?

There is no reason against it.

Hello aarroyocā€¦
You should add some more games now to your Blog!
Because it is Haiku Beta now! :wink:
I would love to see Powermanga there with a good explanation how to play this game!
It is very addictive and very playable on all Haiku Versionsā€¦
Btw. what about adding 32Bit and 64Bit description on top of the games?
like: playable on Haiku 32Bit, 64Bit version possibleā€¦

There are also some games difficult to installā€¦
Sometimes you have to install the original game with Windows first, in order to get those .pak, wad, iwad files which makes it contra productive ( bad marketing for Haiku)ā€¦

Quake2

I had dinner yesterday with the team behind ./play.it (https://www.dotslashplay.it). They have a nice solution for this under Debian and ArchLinux, and the Haiku version might come next.

1 Like

Well doneā€¦

ā€¦so I might suggest this link for non french speaking users:
https://wiki.dotslashplay.it/en/start

Nice idea.

Bad timing for me on not knowing about CDL before, could have been there.

Also as stated by @brunobastardi, despite speaking french i would like the english link :stuck_out_tongue: