Fun with image attributes, first baby steps

So I guess my question is, then, why isn’t the Makefile Engine doing this by default? It’s supposed to take the hassle out of things, after all. Where is ‘$(CXX)’ that it uses defined? Actually it looks as if it always uses $(CC) for LD, anyway.

And are there any docs? Anywhere? Can’t find them.

Jim, glad it works! Hope it’s useful.

And I’m not embarassed :slightly_smiling_face: just a bit annoyed that there seems no provided path to finding a clue!

The makefile_engine was adapted from some BeOS version (not sure where it comes from). Initially it supported the Metrowerks compiler for the PPC version and I guess that explains why it is made this way, but I can’t be sure, never having used PowerPC BeOS myself.

Not baby steps anymore, perhaps - I needed a way to set geolocation on some of my photos and found a workflow that works for me. Attribute Editor a bit less generic, can we have an attribute display type for Location, please? :slight_smile:

I think I need to create a new Map application using openstreetmap tiles to make this work the way I really want, though.

6 Likes

You could start your OpenStreetMap work from https://github.com/haikuarchives/maps

3 Likes

A great native Haiku app for photo collecting would be nice thing to have.
With all those nice attributes.
Maybe some kind of Family - Ancestor - Autosort (by parents, childs, grandfater, ant and Uncle and so on…), maybe possible with attributes?

2 Likes

I had to try out setting attributes using xicon. Using the following script you just name the xicon file “[attribute]=[value]”, make as many copies of it as you want and drop the images to the appropriate xicon file. Note that it is set to only modify string attributes:

cd $FOLDER_PATH
for x; do {
attribute=$(basename “$0”|cut --delimiter = --fields 1)
value=$(basename “$0”|cut --delimiter = --fields 2)
addattr -t string “$attribute” “$value” “$x”
} ;done

Cute! :grinning:

I have a few ‘xicons’ that do things like that, like “ShowAttr” that displays all the attributes of a file. I’d post it here, but I realize it uses another app of mine (that does some string extraction) that I don’t imagine anyone else has…

Thanks PulkoMandy,

Now it works just like I wanted - changes map position on Previous / Next thanks to Haiku message handling.

Screenshot%20from%202020-07-22%2010%3A49%3A22

Maps application needs some work though, I will try to make it use OpenStreetMap tiles with local caching, but that will take some time to get done.

10 Likes

That’s great! We should add it to our demo set for Haiku to show how integration between multiple apps can work :smiley:

7 Likes

yes that will be another useful demo, but a howto would be nice, at least a link to a help file how to use the program and where to find the sample files. Because it is a real useful application. I need to learn more about attributes then…