External monitor not working - ThinkPad X61s

I recently aquired a ThinkPad X61s and I love it to bits.
Everything works on it in Haiku except connecting an external monitor.
I love the ThinkPads abillity to sit in it’s docking station while I’m at home,
but being unable to use an external monitor really makes that difficult.

Booting with VESA works of course, but it doesn’t work with my monitors native resolution (1920x1080).

The symptoms: Booting with the monitor attached renders in a black screen on the ThinkPad and “out of range” on the external monitor.
Plugging in the monitor after a successful boot renders in a “out of range” message on the monitor.
If I try to switch resolutions to known working one at this stage the ThinkPads screen turns black until I disconnect the external monitor.
I have tried different monitors, so it’s something with the intel_extreme driver (since it works with VESA, but at the wrong resolution).

Any idea what to do next?

“listdev” gives me this info about the display controller:

device Display controller [3|80|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 2a03: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary)

device Display controller (VGA compatible controller, VGA controller) [3|0|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 2a02: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)

Just to be clear. I’m not trying to get dual monitors to work, I just want to be able to substitute the ThinkPads display with my external one when the ThinkPad is in the dock.

Submit a bugreport and a syslog (in the “out of range” case and in the working case) to dev.haiku-os.org.

Unfortunately, it may not be easy to fix such problems without access to the hardware.

1 Like

I understand that a fix might be far off. Will submit a bug report later today :slight_smile:

I’m having trouble seeing in the syslog what part is for working and not working (out of range message).
Is there any way I can enable timestamps in the syslog?

See your kernel settings:
https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/data/settings/kernel/drivers/kernel#n27
found in /boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers/kernel.

Thank you korli!

Ticket posted here: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/13974