Easytask for beginers?

Hello, I went to this website https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/EasyTasks but as I knew core C & C++ & most of the easy ones are already have patches so is there any other simpler one which I can give patch to it

1 Like

I’m not aware of anyone keeping a private list of easy tickets. If there is, I urge them to add those to the EasyTasks list linked above.

I’m afraid I have no other suggestion than to browse through the many open tickets.
Maybe some enhancement tickets in the Apps component are easier that finding/fixing a bug?

1 Like

Some tasks land in the “easy” list precisely because they already have a patch pending. In that case, it means the patch is not good enough to be merged yet. Read the comments on it carefully to see what’s missing and work from the existing patch to perform the extra changes.

Also don’t hesitate to look at other tasks not marked “easy”. Depending on your skills and knowledge, something can be within your reach there as well.

Or, just run Haiku for some time and after a day you will have your own list of problems you want to fix to make the system usable. Then we can help you solving them.

3 Likes

Greetings,

I am a lecturer in a Computer Systems course and am interested in using Haiku as part of a semester project. Students would be required to compile Haiku, generate a new image (for live usb and VM) and work on a ticket to close a bug or do some enhancement.

I am having a somewhat hard time finding relevant tickets. I have found the EasyTickets page, but these may not be sufficient (in number and complexity).

Do you have any suggestions on other bugs that could work well for beginners?

Best regards,

Igor

3 Likes

Greetings, Igor! It looks like your post was merged into a similar post. Check out PulkoMandy’s comments above.

It’s great to hear hear that you are wanting to incorporate Haiku into course work! Haiku has been involved with students in the past, often via programs like Google Summer of Code. Some of those students have gone on to become active developers of the OS.

I think a little more background on your students and goals would help get better answers to your question.

What is the skill level and experience of your students? And what type of timeframe are they going to be given to work on this? I ask this because there is a huge difference in what would be a reasonable take freshman to complete in a couple of weeks for an intro class, vs what a senior or grad student could do in a semester? Also, are students doing individual projects? Or do you want multiple students to work on one larger project?

1 Like

@Nighthawk, Thank for the answer. These are 3rd years with reasonable experience in coding. However, they have never worked on an ongoing project and never modified/worked on code that they did not write themselves (or at least that was not written by their peers). The learning objectives are to exercise their (newly gained) knowledge about build systems, lower-level software dependencies and C/C++ programming in the context of a Computer Systems/Operating Systems course. Clearly, Haiku fits well into these objectives.

This is the first we are doing this, so we’re giving them plenty of time (about 2 months) to get familiar with an open source project and get a bug fix or enhancement approved. Some issues in the “Easy” list are good, but they are not enough in number.

Please let me know if more context information is needed.

Best regards.

PS: Yes, I have searched Trac for bugs, but the list is HUGE and there are many irrelevant or old bugs. The community might be able to give some tips to better direct my efforts :wink:

3 Likes

What makes you think some bugs are irrelevant? Old bugs usually don’t disappear on their own and our community is quite good at keeping track of things and closing obsolete ones. So, most of the open bugs should still be valid.

Finding a bug to work on is also part of working on an open source project, and apparently, a more complex step than it would seem, because we get a lot of questions about it and not this much about actually fixing the bugs (we are ready to help there as well).

@PulkoMandy, Well, irrelevant does sound rather strong, so let me clarify: some bugs are not suitable given the context of the course I am teaching.

Finding a bug to work on is also part of working on an open source project, and apparently, a more complex step than it would seem, because we get a lot of questions about it and not this much about actually fixing the bugs (we are ready to help there as well).

This is the exact reason I am trying to triage bugs before presenting them to students. Finding something to work on can be quite hard to someone that has never worked on an open source project before. Any suggestions are more than welcome :wink: