Drive Partitioning and Capacity

I installed The new Haiku to a 4GB USB stick and all is working well…my query relates to the install process when a ‘pop-up’ says that partition size 2048 is recommended. Other choices are available but the next choice above my 4GB would be beyond the USB capacity.

Like most drives, my 4GB drive has slightly less than 4GB…say 3.7

It makes sense to me that I should use the total available and not leave a portion wasted in a Limbo!

I think in Linux and find it hard to swallow that 2048 is adequate…and when a bit more is hanging loose I feel it should be used.

How do others handle partitioning and drive capacity?

1 Like

Reread what DriveSetup says. Thats the sector size in kB. DriveSetup can create any partiton size.

Thanks, I needed that…got it going right now

Just a little correction: the 2048 value is the sector size in bytes (not kB).

Of the filesystem block size actually. The sector size is an hardware thing and cannot be changed.

What this means is disk space will be allocated to files in 2K blocks. I’m not even sure why we bother the user with this setting anyways :slight_smile:

1 Like

My apologies!

I need to read again the Peter Norton’s Introduction to Computers book :slight_smile:

My memories are fading.

From what I recall, the block size is related to disk space overhead. If one has a large partition with large files, smaller block size starts to degrade the usable space on the disk. of course with small files larger block size has the same impact. I always use the default 2k block size.

With 1024 byte blocks on BFS the maximum file size is about 34 GB, which is small enough that ordinary users might run into it and be frustrated. But it does save a considerable amount of space if you have many small files. So probably historically this option made some sense to users.

Given that physical sectors on hard disks these days are 4096 bytes rather than 512 bytes it may make sense for Haiku to choose 4096 byte blocks by default in a future release.

2 Likes

Flash memory often uses even larger physical blocks like 64K etc… on SD cards probalby similar on SSDs…

Thanks for the replies…but I was just on the wrong track. Learned a lot of interesting things…