Donations from the rest of the world

Good to see that donations are now possible, but please use another service. On that Network for Good registration you have to select states and give zip codes, that a non us resident (yes, there is more than the USA) just cannot fill out.
You could for example open a second account at PayPal to give more options to future donators like me.
I would like to donate, but I don’t want to fake forms to do so.

Yes, it is kind of fustrating that a large large amount of BeOS users (probably 80% of them) can’t donate. Japan, Germany and Sweden all have very large blocks of users for instance.

Maybe use Amazon’s honor system? :?

Paypal does seem better than the available service but even paypal makes me grit my teeth.

Would it be possible for internationals to deposit directly into a debit card account held by a responsible Haiku organizer?

Also, what’s the overhead in processing normal credit / debit card transactions?

I´ve been waiting for this, and now there seems to be no way to do my bit. :cry:
PayPal is fine (even more since one can even maintain an account there without having a credit card),
but for most ppl. a simple credit card charge would be the most convenient solution.

Another most effective way to gain additional revenue, could be merchandising (t-shirts, mousepads…)

I just have to (again) express my sentiment that I wouldn’t be enthused at all if I was forced to use the PayPal system. Too many things go wrong at that company for me to give them my credit card data.

peroxidechicken wrote:
Also, what's the overhead in processing normal credit / debit card transactions?
2.5% on Visa, Access/Mastercard and 5% on AMEX and Diners. No idea for the obscure ones like JCB and Discover though.

(these are Irish rates as well but they’re pretty standard worldwide)

kr1stof wrote:
I´ve been waiting for this, and now there seems to be no way to do my bit. :cry:

This is exactly how I feel - I got to the zip code section and my heart sank. I’ve been regularly checking the Haiku site for donation info for quite some time now…

Paypal would work for me too, but I can understand it being frowned upon by many others. Surely there is a better solution to this?

I would also love to be able to set up a regular donation for this - will this become possible in the future?

Thanks
Mark

Kagi could be asked? Known from applications like the Flash Playe, Becasso or Wonderbrush. Its a nice store I think and it is international. Maybe it would be possible to make a deal with them to “sell” donations or something.

We’re actually working on this right now… There was a bunch of discussion Monday as to what road to go down. I have a feeling I’ll get another email from Michael soon with a new donation link to something like paypal. Sorry for the extended wait guys… and yes, we realize how many people are not in the US that would like to donate.

I just checked Amazon’s Honor system page and their fees seem to have decreased, haven’t they?

I once thought (or somebody asserted), that donations via their system was prohibitively expensive with fees of 20% or some such.

But now their site states that it’s just 2.9% plus $0.30 of the donation, which is quite reasonable, I think - in the same ballpark as the system that is linked on the donations page, right now, AFAIK.

As a long time Amazon customer that would be an ideal solution, as they (contrary to PayPal) have earned plenty of trust from me (and, of course, already have my credit card data).

I haven’t got a credit card so I wish i could donate via money transfer. :?
It’s fast, secure and free within Europe…

MYOB wrote:
peroxidechicken wrote:
Also, what's the overhead in processing normal credit / debit card transactions?
2.5% on Visa, Access/Mastercard and 5% on AMEX and Diners. No idea for the obscure ones like JCB and Discover though.

(these are Irish rates as well but they’re pretty standard worldwide)

MasterCard recently went up to 3.5%, but maybe that’s just in Canada.

Kev