Donating server space

Did you try/do the sync ? Any errors running it and scheduling it to run roughly every 24h ?

I don’t see my IP/FQDN here: infrastructure/deployments/rsync.yml at master · haiku/infrastructure · GitHub

that’s the first step.

If that’s all you need, you can send a pull request to github to add it.

It seems Alexander is busy with real life (moving to a new place I think? and a job switch?) and we don’t really have any backup admin to fill in for him. But I think he set up the github repo with the goal that people could provide pull requests to it and take a bit more of an active part in helping running things.

Historically we had the problem that doing anything admin involved root access to our servers, we didn’t want to give that access to untrusted people, and we couldn’t build trust in people administrating things if they don’t have access to anything. The github repo is meant to help with that.

2 Likes

Nope. rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1673) [Receiver=3.1.2]

I am not allowed to rsync until the origin server is configured to allow connections from my IP or FQDN. Someone needs to add my IP (or better, URL files.mc9.eu) to the list of allowed connections, most likely in the file mentioned before.

What I said is, this “someone” can be you. Just send a pull request on github to add your IP there.

2 Likes

Hello @PulkoMandy : I just wrote you an email at the address provided on your website. Please check your inbox :slight_smile:

There is really no need to make this discussion more private than it already is.

I can do the pull request, but you’ll have to tell me exactly which IPs and domain name to add to the list. Hopefully this makes it easier for our admins to handle this (I don’t think I have enough access to the machines to deploy the changes, unless it is automated when the git repo is modified)

1 Like

IP: 85.193.207.26
domain: files.mc9.eu
location of data: files.mc9.eu/haiku
Organization providing the server: Waluszko.net

1 Like

I made the pull request: Add rsync mirror provided by Pawel Waluszko by pulkomandy · Pull Request #91 · haiku/infrastructure · GitHub

Hopefully one of the admins can merge it soon

3 Likes

Seems it’s a dead end.

Why so negative? It has only been 2 days. Pulkomandy isn’t on our admin team as such, he only made the pull request for you.

These things take time, especially with the admin team beeing volunteers too.

7 Likes

We certainly should get more admins in the team for a bit faster reply times… 3 days is reasonable on its own, but this forum thread was created 3 months ago :frowning:
It shouldn’t take 3 months to change two lines in a configuration file. And there is an even older PR on the infrastructure repo for another mirror wanting to update their IP address, that was also not merged.
This seems not very healthy to me?

7 Likes

There was some discussion about this on IRC yesterday. The pull request has been merged. Hopefully pawel can now get his mirror setup :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hmm, the rsync.yml#L66 config file states my domain improperly. It’s “waluszko.net”, not “waluswko.net”. But this is only a cosmetic issue.

First rsync is done. haikuports-master and haiku-release are rsynced.

Lemme know how we can proceed to integrate the new repos into the environment/website.

11 Likes