Does it have word processing, spreadsheets apps?

does it have equivalent MS OFFICE? I need to write business letters, resume’s. etc. Also spreadsheet, and PDF “Editor”?
software to allow signing of documents.?

Running from Microsoft to Linux. However Microsoft now involved with Linux which can be NOTHING GOOD FOR LINUX.

YOU ARE THE LAST FRONTIER OF OPERATING SYSTEM. I AM GAME TO RUN/TEST IT.
I CANNOT PROGRAM BUT WILL LEARN AS I SELF TAUGHT PROGRAMMING ON MAINFRAMES AT IBM YEARS AGO.

I WOULD LIKE TO LOAD YOUR OS ON HP LAPTOP. HAS ANYONE BEEN SUCCESSFUL WITH HP LAPTOPS AND HAIKU?

SUPER EAGER FELLA HERE!

ALTON DAVIS JR.

USA/GEORGIA

Thanks,

Alton

Yes, we have ports of Calligra and LibreOffice, the latter of which is considered a capable replacement to Microsoft Office. And BePDF. And several other smaller productivity tools as well.

CAPS LOCK. Annoying since 1980

1 Like

Seems not intended, he just forgot to unlock on the 3rd paragraph :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a ticket here: #14662 (HP Paviliion B&O works in legacy mode with safe video enabled!) – Haiku

Hello alton,
Yes Haiku is working with HP Laptops. I have a HP Pavilion B&O here.
The process to install it is not easy at the moment, though. Only if you have time and interest in helping and testing Haiku it would be a good thing right now for you. (“SUPER EAGER FELLA HERE!”)

Mostly because Haiku is in Beta state and the programs you need are not stable to do serious work right now… This will change for sure after some time!

There is no easy write to pdf right now in Haiku though it was in BeOs R5 so it may be a matter of time to get this feature back. See my post for more information of my HP Notebook here:

About the last 10 years of my working life I taught at a college that was all Microsoft Office. I used only LibreOffice and was able to read and save all docs necessary in MS format. I have produced many documents in LO, including two books, and found it a very capable tool.

I’ve been using LO in Linux during the past many years. I installed it in Haiku just to see if I could. It seemed to be OK, but I haven’t done much with it. The lack of Java support means I can’t run my finance program, PLCash, so I’m not spending much time in Haiku yet.

Lane

I’d like to see FocusWriter ported.

I think it’s ported already. Yep, I have just checked. It’s in HaikuDepot, in the HaikuPorts repository. I have installed and it runs, but I haven tested it yet.

Oh cool! Thanks!

1 Like

Java support was working, there is currently a problem with the port but I should think it can be revived. Bootstrapping is tricky, I looked into it at some point and could get openjdk 8 to build but it had numerous issues. Openjdk 7 used to be available in the depot. Needs more time/knowledge to fix.

Perhaps you should try PLCash now… from the monthly activity report I saw that java is now available again on 32 bit at least… and it’s version 8 (which also means thinkfree office would now work on devices that use the vesa driver… not that it is needed now that libreoffice is available). You need to just install openjdk from haiku depot. Thank you @waddlesplash

[1] https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/waddlesplash/2018-10-31_haiku_activity_report_septemberoctober_2018/
[2] https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/pkg/openjdk_x86/haikuports/1/8/u40_b27/-/4/x86_gcc2?bcguid=bc266-URTY

LibreOffice seems to be unstable, at least to me. Whenever the tooltips are displayed on screen it will freeze and become unusable. In my limited time testing, Calligra seemed to be more stable.

You can try thinkfree, it’s in Clasqm’s repo. I don’t know how it compares to Calligra though…

[1] https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/?bcguid=bc1-MYYR&repos=besly,fatelk,clasqm,haikuports&arch=x86_gcc2&viewcrttyp=ALL&srchexpr=thinkfree
[2] http://clasquin-johnson.co.za/michel/haiku/repo/index.html

Thanks, Munchausen, for the update on the Java story. Regretfully, openjdk is not in my Haiku Depot. I suppose that’s because I installed the 64-bit version of Haiku.

I’ll keep hoping!

Lane

I had the same issue, but you can disable the tooltips. If I remember correctly, you had to do the following:

Tools → LibreOffice → Options →
Advanced Options → Advanced configuration. Seach for the keyword “Tip”
(not case sensitive), then searching for org.openoffice.Office.Common,
Help → Tip and setting it to False.

2 Likes