Development environment outside Haiku?

Hello,

I would like to contribute to Haiku especially Renga which is XMPP client but from different OS (for now I am using Windows with VirtualBox) for development/testing purposes.

Running Haiku in seperate machine or as main OS at the moment is not possible. I was thinking about “Remote Explorer of VS Code” but that extension doesn’t support Haiku and for now I am searching for FTP code sharing setup. So that, I can code in VS Code in Windows but can compile in Haiku.

For now i can access haiku with ssh from terminal but its not easy to transfer code to Haiku VM then compile it.

Is there any way in which I contribute, more easily?
Any insight on how to do that would be sincerely appreciated.

Regards,
Amit Bora

1 Like

Hello! Welcome! You can download the git command on the HaikuDepot and share the sources using that. I’ll find Renga’s repo if you don’t find it first.

It appears to be on @PulkoMandy 's personal server: Renga – Renga and he is also the developer in charge of it.

1 Like

Another alternative is GitHub - JadedCtrl/Chat-O-Matic: A multi-protocol chat program for Haiku from GitHub. It was done as a Google Summer of Code project some time ago.

1 Like

I don´t know if VS Code supports it but there are many editors that have an “open via SFTP” feature. The editor takes care of transferring the code each time you save it and you just need a terminal window with an open ssh connection to the Haiku machine to do the compiling.

Having said that, I´d like to encourage you to try to work directly under Haiku. You have Koder as an editor and with Genio we even have a native IDE that´s making great progress. It may sound a bit silly but I think you get a better “feel” for the OS if you are working directly on it. Even if it is in a virtual machine.

EDIT: There are several SFTP/FTP extensions available for VS Code

1 Like

Hello Amit;

This was discussed quite recently actually.

It’s not too hard to achieve. I do my development in Intelli-J on a linux machine which works well for me. I can cross-compile on the linux machine too to check the build.

I run Haiku in VirtualBox and have the two systems networked. On the Haiku machine I have a bash script which uses rsync to synchronize the sources from the linux machine over to the Haiku machine. I can then recompile and test.

I would use sshfs, it usually works very well.

3 Likes

Thanks! Can you provide more details, how to setup it? and script also.

Thanks! Can you provide more details, how to setup it? and script also.

I can try find time to write it up soon…

1 Like

Hello; can you please try these instructions and confirm this works for you.

1 Like

For quite some time I’ve been using either my own IDE or VsCode from windows while doing Haiku dev work. I mount the home folder via sshfs and then just point the IDE at that mount. I even have a dinky little .py script that logs in and does a build from the host OS. sshfs is very stable and fast so yay.

3 Likes