Dependency-Hell reports -- about ported software packages [2024|

Ladies and Gentlemen !

Me myself don’t mind if you - dear devs - remain on Github - it is no problem for us - USERS - basically,
but please let us to skip using Github and investigate precisely where to report a ported SW or it’s dependency issue.

It should work that way as
I select from a list
WHICH package or Software at / with I have the issue,
and then I AUTOMATICALLY routed / directed TO EXACTLY the RIGHT URL where I can report my problem.

Someone may create/install a Trac - like web application,
or a Haiku tool in the future, which opens an issue on a specific repo’s quite fine Issue URL - based on package name(s),

BUT, until THEN,
I just thought open this thread about Haiku package installation warnings/errors

which comes from dependency conflicts - similar like new package(s) ( version(s) ) announcements.

At the same time open the list of sad events with my actual conflict I got.

For whom - who would also use it :

I suggest to give

Haiku version :
Haiku level :

first. (uname -a can help or as in case denying of terminal usage : AboutSystem )

Kind regards,

2 Likes

Case - 001

Haiku version : Haiku x86_64
Haiku level : R1B4 latest - hrev56578+96

--------------------------------------------------------
~> pkgman install dillo_plus dooble epiphany falkon httrack kristall ladybird links lynx netsurf otter_browser qupzilla qutebrowser retawq w3m webkit_gtk_demo zeal
100% repochecksum-1 [65 bájt]
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (BeSly Software Solutions)...done.
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (FatElk_64)...done.
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (Haiku)...done.
100% repochecksum-1 [64 bájt]
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (HaikuPorts)...done.
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (KapiX's Depot)...done.
100% repochecksum-1 [71 bájt]
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (LOTE)...done.
Encountered problems:
problem 1: package epiphany-43.1-1 requires lib:libappstream_glib>=8.0.10, but none of the providers can be installed
  solution 1:
    - allow deinstallation of cairo-1.16.0-6
  solution 2:
    - do not install "providing epiphany"
Please select a solution, skip the problem for now or quit.
select [1...2/s/q]: 

Can I deinstall
package cairo ?

Wouldn’t derinstall this package additional package(s) which was installed cairo, as a required dependency ?

1 Like

Hello. As was pointed in the past, the right place to report issues is the Github project site:

If for any reason you don’t like to use it, is fair. But I don’t feel nice to request more work from the dev team to have to offer alternatives just because you don’t like the tools used by the project.

As in any other open source project, is expected some collaboration. That not means only submit code, but also invest some time to learn how to use the tools that the project decided to use

2 Likes

END ¤ Case - 001

Anyway, I chosen solution

deinstall of package cairo

fortunately it hat hot brought on additional packages.

2 Likes

Ahoy @un_spacyar !

From my side it was really an indication I experienced, and asked if it would be the solution
as on Linux about a decade ago I found myself in real dependency hell when I had to deinstall packages one after another as there were no end to dependency that just had not fitted with another apps’ dependencies.
So I had some resentment toward such cases and was careful to not start endless fight with the packages.
Now I had lucky I just had to deinstall cairo, that I hope not critical for that app which required to install it.
As finally i just probed what happens …
And, of course, I reported immediately, so now my question and the work for the checks can be skipped.

Unless someone wants to re-check recipes :slight_smile: - against all of my marks

as finally I see as

resolved – Case 001.

1 Like

Install xcairo. All sorts of installation problems disappear when you do that. If some programs are uninstalled in the process, you can always reinstall them.

1 Like

If deinstalling cairo had any consequences, they would be also listed in the dialog.
In this case, the dialog should probably hint with ‘recommended’ that it’s ok to deinstall.

1 Like

Yepp, some package can be deprecated, as sometimes commands became so, but as we say in Hungarian
Is that would be sucked off my finger ?
or
Which finger should I have sucked out of?
(mentioning as the sucking thumbs in baby age should/would load some useful, must known knowledge for the still opaque, uninformed, know nothing human being/person/observer )
… I mean it is in the repo, and installed.

It is before I would have watched the video, I just red both of your written answers.

Thanks !
:chocolate_bar:
or
:beer:

xcairo should be not needed in first place. Haiku GTK 3 port do not use X11.

Right - I spent time to watch your informal video, dear Michel, and then I checked the installed packages : is there any cairo package installed?

as actually still had not developed package manager command

pkgman list-installed

and

pkgman listinstalled-by-category <category>

I just issued list command for any cairo Haiku package in (activated) packages directory :

~> ls -l /boot/system/packages/*cairo*
-rw-r--r-- 1 user root 734903 ápr.    7 01:48 /boot/system/packages/cairo1.18-1.18.0-1-x86_64.hpkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 user root 847473 ápr.    7 01:48 /boot/system/packages/xcairo-1.16.0-5-x86_64.hpkg
~> 

This way I can see: yes, a newer one cairo was installed, instead of above reported version, but also some app or library ‘installed’ xcairo package as well, but that also higher subversion than the deinstalled one.

I do not argue on it related GTK - I just seen some basic X.org packages, but when I attempted to install them from curiosity
I got conflicting versions among two them, as one of them expected higher one libx11 that is actually available in the repo … stated which is not the expected object in the one available.
At the same time also one warning as then xlibe should be deinstalled. So naturally I skipped the whole install.
The output has gone, as i restarted PC meanwhile, so terminal output is not available, but now, as more packages had installed meanwhile … I could get further package names conflicting - I assume primarily as those X.org packages not necessarily required (in most cases) - against the xlibe X11 compatibility layer package , that enables more in one package - if we want to use current and up-to-date packages, and new, well-functioning (khmm) apps could be compiled more stable, but which expects libraries available since xlibe introduced, as they are based/built on.

~> pkgman install libx11 libxau libxcb libxpm util_macros xcb_proto xorgproto xtrans
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (BeSly Software Solutions)...done.
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (FatElk_64)...done.
100% repocache-2 [2.38 KiB]
100% repochecksum-1 [64 bájt]
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (HaikuPorts)...done.
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (KapiX's Depot)...done.
100% repochecksum-1 [71 bájt]
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (LOTE)...done.
Encountered problems:
problem 1: package libxpm-3.5.12-5 requires lib:libx11>=6.3.0, but none of the providers can be installed
  solution 1:
    - do not install "providing libxpm"
    - allow deinstallation of xlibe-0.3.3-1
    - allow deinstallation of dillo_plus-3.2.1-2
    - allow deinstallation of fltk-1.3.9-1
    - allow deinstallation of xcairo-1.16.0-5
    - allow deinstallation of appstream_glib-0.8.1-3
    - allow deinstallation of epiphany-43.1-1
  solution 2:
    - do not install "providing libx11"
Please select a solution, skip the problem for now or quit.
select [1...2/s/q]: q
~> 

pkgman search --all -i works fine for listing all the installed packages. Add -D if you want it with more detailed info.

Thank you, Oscar.

I saved for me, after I tried out all of it.
It’s more simple than filter ‘activated_packages’ file or list files in packages directory and after search in it,