Dell Inspiron 1525 No Video After Boot Screen

Title says it all. It’s a stock machine, no extras. DVD booted, I saw the haiku logo then a blinking cursor in the top right corner for about 10 seconds, then black screen and then the DVD stopped spinning. I left it for 5 minutes, hitting keys made the DVD spin up momentarily then stopped again.

Is there any BIOS settings I should be aware of or optional boot configurations that are not especially visible to the naked eye I can try?

Thanks.

Probably have to blacklist your graphics driver. To test whether this is the case and see if you can reach the desktop:

1. Reboot.
  2. After your computer’s splash screen or logo screen goes away, but before you see any Haiku logo, either hold Shift key continuously, or very rapidly and repeatedly press Spacebar. If you see a Haiku logo, you probably missed the chance and need to try again.
  3. From the bootmenu use the arrow keys to highlight “Select safe mode options”.
  4. Press Enter key
  5. Use arrow keys to highlight “Use fail-safe video mode”.
  6. Press Spacebar
  7. Highlight “Return to main menu” and press Enter.
  8. Highlight “Continue booting” and press Enter.

This should enable you to see if only the graphics driver is the problem.

Thanks, it boots up fine now. I haven’t really tested out much more, but it’s nice to see how performance is on it even without all the ‘bells and whistles’ of the computer being taken advantage of. I used to think Linux was the OS to ‘give new life to old slow computer’, until I tried this…I’m impressed even though not everything I’ve tried is supported. Like, REALLY impressed.

1 Like

So now I have another problem, but not sure if I should open up a new thread for it, so I suppose I’ll start here.

On that same computer, audio is detected, Haiku gives me controls over everything, but neither headphones nor speakers produce sound. I downloaded a midi and it plays, I can see the oscilliscope doing stuff, so it seems to want to produce sound. Is there something I’m missing or is that normal behavior for a partially finished driver? It also detects firewire, but I don’t have a firewire cable or gear to test that part. It says the device is AudioHD.

Any suggestions? I did do full on system ‘update’ just in case something was fixed, but had no luck. Everything seems to run audio, I just can’t hear it.

Use the search function, there are plenty threads about this.

If you are using Haiku 32 bit, you can try installing the OpenSound driver package, from HaikuDepot.

Another test is doing the following:

1. Start the computer and boot normally in your main SO (Windows, Linux, etc.)
  2. do a reboot and start Haiku (a warm reboot)
  3. try if still you don’t have audio.

Sometimes, the card are not correctly initialized by Haiku. In that case, booting Windows or Linux previously (without turning off the computer) do that, and then, Haiku recognize the sound device correctly.

My english is not very good, but I hope you could understand the process.

Tell us if you had some progress!