Creating Haiku CD, USB... not working at all right now

Hi all…

I am bored of bug reporting right now…
very bad situation right now… confusing…and not BeOs like!!!
The feel of BeOs is going to fade since it is difficult to get Haiku to work and install!!!

Creating a CD is not working well ( which cd which hrev which system you are using)
making a USB-Stick I could not manage to work… x86-64bit or x86-32-bit…

Please have a look into it…
thank you all…

Btw… no point to release a Beta right now… very bad idea!

Hi,

I think you need to be very specific about your problem and the steps to reproduce. I usually dd straight to USB stick, but I’m trying the ‘install to live USB stick from a CD’, which is what I think you are trying to do (as I understand from IRC).

I have burned a CD with the latest nightly image (gcc2 hybrid).

I booted from the CD, no issues.

I selected ‘run installer’ and inserted the USB stick. I clicked ‘cancel’ when the mount prompt appeared (you don’t want it mounted at the time)

I initialised the USB stick with intel partition type, created a single partition and formatted it BeFS.

I ran the installer. I rebooted with the USB stick inserted and chose it from the boot options.

OK, it didn’t boot… I had to boot from the CD again and install BootManager on the USB stick, and then it worked (I could also have used writembr). So could be the installer doesn’t clear the MBR when initialising the partition map?

Chris

1 Like

the USB stick with intel partition type, created a single partition and formatted it BeFS. (the optimal way, the easiest one)

huawääääää ahhhhhhh… ooooooohhh
i have better things to do … kids… family … humanity… vegan…

Pleas try to make a CD!
And more important… try to use the installer to make a USB-stick!!!
I am really bored… and my laptop is almost dead right now…

Bruno, correct me if i’m wrong, but here you wrote the CD-boot doesn’t working.
But on IRC you just wrote:

I will encurage all! to download the latest nighties… and burn them to CD! and then to install an USB stick from the mounted live CD!
we have to help each other…
but right not i will encurage all members to try a clean install …
I dont need any help thx…

(…)

I have no problem to install Haiku!!!
but I want the unexperienced user to use it too!
so I test the situation…
for new user…

So, have you problem or have you not. If you have, then PLEASE, for the love of god, let us know, what your problem is.

If you got no problem and you just want to have a quality-check before the beta release, then try to encourage your little sister, your mother, or somebody in your family with less technical skills to install it all alone on your computer. Document the problems and make a ticket about it. You can add your ideas to make things better, but try to understand, i also don’t have any optical drive anymore, and i am happy with this.

When creating the intel partition map, a default MBR should be installed. However I think it is slightly different from the one written by writembr, unless we already fixed that. A dump (with dd) of the first sector before/after writembr would confirm.

Did you make your partition active when creating it? The writembr and default boot sector need this, but bootman doesn’t (because it uses the partition you selected in the menu so it doesn’t care which one is active).

Hmm, I can’t remember if I made it an active partition or not. I have two machines running Haiku native (on HDD) with just the default MBR, so I am used to setting active on the boot partition.

[Edit]

Ok, I tried again and made sure I ticked the active partition box, rebooted and hey presto, booting USB installation :grinning:

Chris

Ok, I will try it again…

as… if I said not easy to get Haiku on CD and then creating a USB-Stick!
I am a Haiku user…
and I do not manage to get my USB-Sticks working…
I am a dump user trying to make a USB…

Have you got USB3?
Is your Partition active on the USB?
Does the Haiku Logo Shows Up?