Potentially inspirational context
to present Haiku as a more sustainable OS
at least (old) hardware wise, if not in general

LIMITS 2023

Ninth Workshop on Computing within Limits
June 14-15 2023 (Online)
https://computingwithinlimits.org/2023

1 Like

Most of us don’t need a more powerful computer, and buying an old one can make a lot of sense. However, there is one way in which a new computer is more environmentally friendly, and that of course is power consumption.
Modern cars, too, use less fuel (and have cleaner emissions) than old cars.
We could all go back to using horses, but they need a lot of hay (or oats), and may well produce a lot of methane.
Decisions, decisions.

I have lots of low watt computers, from thin clients to super small desktops, so, if you choose wisely, you only need a low watt machine for daily duties. :slight_smile:

1 Like

On personal plane, two parts were really consuming in computers themselves : mechanical disks and GPU. The first are slowly disappearing but the second will be another story. What needs to change a not individuals but big companies. Because, if you consider a more global approach, you’ll see that the most hungry things are mega data center farms. Their cooling system itself is already insane. When you know what these farms are used for, I guess that everyone would feel better without half of them.

3 Likes

Is disk use on Haiku in general lower than of other desktop operating systems? I can imagine it is as it is more elegant code and there is no corporate interest behind to track and log all user actions, but that is just my whishful thinking.*(I got enchanted seeing hot-swapping main hard disk on desktop running BeOS in '99, while system went in RAM and than safely landed on the new HD)

I think if we do not start highlighting and boycotting unsustainable tech practices on all levels, general consumption and industry will not change much on their own…same was with radical proposals in 80s like insisting on organic food and now it is much more then obscure market niche.

3 Likes