Computers don't recognise anyboot usb as bootable

Hi all,

I’m new here i tried to make a anyboot usb with no luck
I tried several images (you never know) and several computers.

Folowd the instructions:
download image writer -> `Instal image writer
download image -> rename image
open image in image writer-> write to usb
Boot from usb…-> nothing -> :frowning:

What do i do wrong?

Regard,

Remco

That looks like exactly what I do, and I have 3 Desktops and 5 laptops and they all work when I follow the same procedure as you.

1. Request: What computers are you trying to boot on, which Haiku-OS images were you trying to boot?

2. Note: I have had more problem getting x86_64 versions to work. But even they work when I cold-boot. Restarts have given me problems.

3. Suggestion: Are you sure the USB stick is not buffered? You may be removing it too soon. After the write operation have the Windows/Linux do a proper shutdown as this insures everything is written to the USB first. Next cold boot to the USB, do not try a restart.

Boot from a machine that was turn off. No sleep, no hibernate, COLD BOOT.

Note: I have 1 Acer, 2 Toshiba and 2 Dell Laptops - all boot fine from USB.
I also an Compaq Presario, two custom Desktops 1 a Celeron and the latest is I-7 machine, they all boot from USB. Again the only problem I really found except for a few bad images was the need to cold boot x86_64 Haiku-OS.

Opps, I forgot because this is only needed to be only once when I first got the newest machine.

Do any of these machines have SecureBoot?

If yes, you need to turn it off for now.

That is why it helps to know which machines you tried Haiku-OS on.

One cause for this that’s getting common is our lack of usb3 support. Try from an usb2 port if you still have one.

Intel dual core 2.8 Mhz
Intel 468 800 hz
Intel 386 300 hz

I used the ‘stable’ R1 Apha 4 (2012) anyboot image

[quote=Earl Colby Pottinger]
3) Suggestion: Are you sure the USB stick is not buffered? [/quote]

Huh?

I removed the usb -as recomented- via “the safeky remove hardware” taskbar button

Done that

[quote=Earl Colby Pottinger]
I also an Compaq Presario, two custom Desktops 1 a Celeron and the latest is I-7 machine, they all boot from USB. [/quote]

Lucky You :wink:

Remco

the problem that the usb drive is recognised but can’t find as bootable os

Please try this:
On Windows, format the usb drive.
Download: USB Image Tool (1), and extract it in a folder.
Open USB Image Tool.
Select the usb drive.
Choose the option to restore an image.
Select the anyboot (renamed to .img format) file.
When done, restart the computer and choose to boot from the usb drive.
That should work.

– louisdem

(1) http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/

Ok i’m going to try that

thanks,

Remco

[quote=Remco.Johannes][quote=Earl Colby Pottinger]

1. Request: What computers are you trying to boot on, which Haiku-OS images were you trying to boot?
    [/quote]

Intel dual core 2.8 Mhz
Intel 468 800 hz
Intel 386 300 hz

[/quote]

I don’t think the 386 and 486 are fast enough to use Haiku-OS useful enough. I could be wrong.

2) Note: I have had more problem getting x86_64 versions to work. But even they work when I cold-boot. Restarts have given me problems.
[/quote]

I used the ‘stable’ R1 Apha 4 (2012) anyboot image
[/quote]
I would try out one of the latest nighties as well.

3) Suggestion: Are you sure the USB stick is not buffered? [/quote]

Huh?
[/quote]
Most SD-Cards and some USB sticks have internal ram that allow quick bursts of data writes, but once the data is in the card it takes time to write it to the flash. If you pull such a device too soon the data is lost or corrupted.

This is more common in SD-Cards used in cameras, but since I have used adapters that turn a SD-Card into a USB stick, and since two of my laptops have allowed me to directly boot off SD-Cards while making them look like USB sticks to the OS - I can assume nothing about your setup unless you state it.

You may be removing it too soon. After the write operation have the Windows/Linux do a proper shutdown as this insures everything is written to the USB first. Next cold boot to the USB, do not try a restart.
[/quote]

I removed the usb -as recomented- via “the safeky remove hardware” taskbar button
[/quote]

I trust nothing, I trust no-one. That is why if things don’t work then I go all the way to shutdown to be sure.

Boot from a machine that was turn off. No sleep, no hibernate, COLD BOOT.
[/quote]

Done that
[/quote]

I also an Compaq Presario, two custom Desktops 1 a Celeron and the latest is I-7 machine, they all boot from USB. [/quote]

Lucky You :wink:

Remco[/quote]

I just wanted to point out that I have a wide range of machines to test Haiku-OS booting from the USB.

tnx guys. It boots now.
I’ll report back later

Remco