Compiling VVVVVV on Haiku

I don’t think that is the case with win8linux.
But suppose it were, they’d have to give very detailed and explicit instructions how to build, what to patch, where to download, what dependencies are needed in what versions etc. IOW, describe in so many words what’s in a recipe.

Then try publishing it somewhere people looking to port that app will find it…

Just to clarify, I already worked with one of the game’s maintainers (flibitijibibo) to get Haiku support in upstream and got the game’s creator to allow distributing the data along with a Haiku package albeit with some requirements that have to be met.

Regarding packaging, I do want to do this and learn. I’m just having issues figuring it out as someone without any prior experience with making Haiku packages.

1 Like

If I may ask, does haikuporter still try to resolve deps when they’re already installed? The build and app dependencies are already installed, however I’m concerned that it’s still trying to download them while my current internet connection is unreliable.

The haikuports team can only give hints and help. Please do not except more than this.

Haikuporter will use the installed deps. You defined probably dependencies wrong.

As extrwerk says, when installed in the system it’ll be available in haikuporter’s chroot environment.
Make sure to use haikuport’s --get-dependencies parameter or it will build all dependencies. Best to add this alias to your ~/config/settings/profile:

haikuporter -j8 --get-dependencies --no-source-packages

See the haikuports wiki.

Thanks @humdinger, did as you and the wiki said but changed the job flag to a number equal to the number of cores on the system.

Thanks for the advice @extrowerk! Did some fiddling around and found out that omitting bits like cmd:, devel:, and lib: resolved the dep errors. Kinda of strange IMO, since I saw these in other recipes and parts of the wiki. But hey, if it works right? :smile:

At the moment, haikuporter says that it can’t find a directory in $SOURCE_DIR found in the recipe:

The screenshot shows the $SOURCE_DIR folder with desktop_version subfolder highlighted, the specific line where it can be found in the current iteration of the recipe, and the error(s) haikuporter shows about not finding it.

That suggests that something else is wrong. But never mind, once you think you got it to work, create a PR and it’ll get reviewed there.

By defining SOURCE_DIR at the top, you’ll be using that as top folder in INSTALL() and BUILD(). So, cd desktop_version should work.

Didn’t know that, thanks. However, haikuporter now keeps spamming this:

waiting for build package vvvvvv-2.0~git-1 to be activated

Do I need to wait for some time before the package gets built? Maybe leave the machine alone until it gets to building it?

Your recipe is broken, sadly haikuporter doesnt handles it well.
Fix the recipe.

Are there any log files that go into detail on what went wrong? It doesn’t mention any errors in particular within the terminal.

That should be lib:libSDL2_mixer_2.0$secondaryArchSuffix
There are a few more things needs changing :slight_smile:

Should be: haiku${secondaryArchSuffix}_devel

I just committed the various changes that were made over this weekend. They were uncommitted until now.

The default has been switched to --get-dependencies for a long time already, so this is not needed anymore.

1 Like

Oh, I missed that… I’ll update the wiki then.

Could you file a PR (pull request) for this at haikuports? Still too much to comment on for the forum
For one, you removed the support for secondary architecture, this won’t build on gcc2h

Being newer software, I’m not really sure if it will build. For the record, the _x86 packages are the GCC2 ones right? Also, is it really ok for PR to have a nonworking recipe? Kind of thought only working ones would be considered.

I have a build for the gcc2hybrid running, based on your recipe (with local changes), so it works on 32bit and 64bit

Ok, just made a PR for it. Unfortunately, a system update broke the Haiku VM on the desktop I’m now on. Might take a bit of time to get everything set up again.