Compatibility with Zeta software

Dear users,

As far as I know, Haiku aims to be compatible with software for BeOS (at least until R1). Does that include software for Zeta? Is there any Zeta compatibility layer (is it possible to implement libzeta.so?).

Thank you in advance. Kind regards.

Haiku targets BeOS R5.0.3 compatibility wise, thus Zeta isn’t included in the compatibility plans.

I don’t know what’s in libzeta.so. It may be possible to implement it but there are no plans from us at Haiku. It may even be possible to get libzeta.so from zeta and add it to the lib folder of Haiku without too much changes?

1 Like

Thank you for the answers. Now, I know that Zeta support is not intended . That said, the idea of @PulkoMandy of copying the library to the lib folder sounds interesting for me. I might give it a try.

Thank you again. Regards.

I’m pretty sure libzeta.so is equivalent to libbe.so on Zeta OS.

This does not Match, i test it for years. Would be fine to use the Software i payed for zeta.

Ok, thank you for sharing your experience. Thus, implementing an open clone of libzeta would be interesting (and demanding as well, I suppose). I might try to explore that field in the future :thinking:.

Kind regards.

Moving libzeta.so to Haiku apps lib folder should not work. This worked only on experimental BeOS 5.1 version, on which Zeta is based.

Ok @damoklas, thank you for the info. In that case, even re-implementing a libzeta.so clone might be useless… :frowning:

I have done some testing and trying to manually load the original libzeta.so, even if you do not do anything else, and it causes a segmentation fault (SIGSEV) insetad of simply printing the “error” message:

#include <dlfcn.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
printf(“Loading libzeta!\n”);
void* handle = dlopen("./libzeta.so", RTLD_LAZY);
if (!handle) {
printf(“Error!\n”);
return 1;
}
return 0;
}

Regards