Christmas/Holidays themed Haiku games?

For a bit of holiday fun and cheer, I’m trying to find some Christmas/Holiday themed games that run on Haiku, with a preference towards native Haiku/Haiku-compatible BeOS games (as opposed to non-native games that run through an emulator). Looking through the various software archives and repos, I’ve found:

Anyone know of any other games, or how to get these built/running?

1 Like

Santa’s Gift Bag is NOT a game. it is a very old library that is only being kept around because there are still apps that depend on it.
https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/pkg/libsanta/haikuports/haikuports_x86_64/3/0/2/-/1/x86_64?bcguid=bc218-WYYU

2 Likes

Ahoy @Yukinu ,

I just checked the Second one first as you wrote it is in Haiku package format.

I checked the info link ‘Click here’ on Besly site – from your link above, in your post --, but that was empty.

So I downloaded the package … and as I assumed :
it was 32 bit Haiku package.
You can know that of the package name as if the package name contains the gcc2 it means compiled with gcc version 2.95 to have been BeOS compatible.
This way if it had not worked to install in Haiku with pkgman
you must have 64 bit Haiku installed.
Such 32 bit Haiku package cannot be run on Haiku 64 bit install (at least yet) as that is no hybrid kernel - as in case 32 bit -, developers keeps BeOS compatibility in 32 bit Haiku kernel only.
Packages built for 64 bit Haiku not compatible with old BeOS requirement old gcc 2.95 version, but only the last actual gcc version – actually gcc 13.x.
This way you must

1. install a 32 bit Haiku separately
    for this game to install in Haiku
    or
  2. install a 32 bit Haiku in a VM
    for this game to install in Haiku

This is the resolution for the second one game.

EDIT 01 :

Otherwise it is available for 64 bit as well, as I have added the 64bit Besly repo … me also on 64 bit actually

~> pkgman search Santa
Status  Name             Description                                         
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
        libsanta         Deprecated custom widget library                    
        libsanta_devel   Deprecated custom widget library (development files)
        libsanta_source  Deprecated custom widget library (source files)     
        santacatchthem   Santa's got a problem. Can you help him?            
~> 

Here you are - the last line.
It is better if you add the appropriate repositories to your Haiku, if you are not able to built packages for install, and then search among them with pkgman or HaikuDepot GUI program.

Here you are the available 64 bit repos :

~> pkgman list-repos
        BeSly Software Solutions
                base-url:  https://software.besly.de/repo64
                identifier: tag:besly.de,2020:hap
                priority:  2
        FatElk_64
                base-url:  https://fatelk.com/repo_64
                identifier: http://fatelk.com/repo_64
                priority:  1
        Haiku
                base-url:  https://eu.hpkg.haiku-os.org/haiku/r1beta4/x86_64/current
                identifier: tag:haiku-os.org,2001:repositories/haiku/r1beta4/x86_64
        HaikuPorts
                base-url:  https://eu.hpkg.haiku-os.org/haikuports/r1beta4/x86_64/current
                identifier: tag:haikuports.org,2013:repositories/haikuports/master/x86_64
        LOTE
                base-url:  https://www.haikuware.ru/repo/lote
                identifier: http://haikuware.ru/repo/lote
~> 

you can add/remove/list repos with following pkgman commands

Repository management commands:
  add-repo <repo-base-url>
    Adds the repository with the given <repo-base-URL>.

drop-repo <repo-name>
    Drops the repository with the given <repo-name>.

list-repos
    Lists all repositories.

using base URLs from my list.

1 Like

There are online games, though. See if any of these will run in a Haiku browser: Christmas Games - Play Free Christmas Games Online

Interesting, think I had saw a screenshot on one of the pages and thought it was a game.

I tested a few out. Some of them do work, but was hoping to find games compiled natively for Haiku or BeOS for nostalgic reasons.

Thank you, very informative post! Did a quick uname -p, and yes I’m running 64bit Haiku.

I added all of the repos, tried installing santacatchthem, but can’t find a dependency, lua52 (I’m assuming this should be lua5.2?).

Ahoy @Yukinu ,

Thanks for your praise - I just tried my best - as I got from others in the forum.

Well, I also attempted to install this game, maybe I can tell you some hint if I can succeed …
although I generally play with games rarely … I used to be satisfied with Sokoban and the game I forgot always its name … asian roots , you pick up 2 same/similar stones and then htey vanishes. :))
I’m so lame in games 8D

Anyway -
Me also failed this dependency’s dependency package.
In Haiku there’s a lot of gaming option :
→ one package games - even Haiku native or ported
→ ported games - requires additional running libraries or a special framework to load and run,
→ and of course the simulators also exists for 8-bit computer games and consoles for example the newest ones
like 8-bit Guy’s dream computer – the
Commander X16 Emulator (davidkaroly’s post about presenting the emulator running on Haiku)

Unfortunately - me also failed.

> pkgman install santacatchthem
100% repochecksum-1 [65 bájt]
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (BeSly Software Solutions)...done.
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (FatElk_64)...done.
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (Haiku)...done.
100% repochecksum-1 [64 bájt]
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (HaikuPorts)...done.
100% repocache-2 [1.83 MiB]
100% repochecksum-1 [71 bájt]
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (LOTE)...done.
Encountered problems:
problem 1: nothing provides lua52 needed by egsl-1.6.0-3
  solution 1:
    - do not install "providing santacatchthem"
Please select a solution, skip the problem for now or quit.
select [1/s/q]: 1
Nothing to do.
~> pkgman search egsl
Status  Name          Description                                                   
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        1945          1945 an EGSL Shooter based on a tutorial by Asterios Gkoutmas 
        astrorocks    Astrorocks an EGSL game by M. Mangold. Not completed          
        egsl          EASY game scripting with LUA                                  
        egsl_ide      IDE for the scripting language EGSL                           
        spaceshooter  Spaceshooter an EGSL game by C.Virus. Not completed           
~> pkgman install egsl
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (BeSly Software Solutions)...done.
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (FatElk_64)...done.
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (Haiku)...done.
100% repochecksum-1 [64 bájt]
100% repochecksum-1 [71 bájt]
Ellenőrzőkód érvényesítése a tárolóhoz (LOTE)...done.
Encountered problems:
problem 1: nothing provides lua52 needed by egsl-1.6.0-3
  solution 1:
    - do not install "providing egsl"
Please select a solution, skip the problem for now or quit.
select [1/s/q]: 1
Nothing to do.
~> 

EGSL’s dependency which seems determined in its recipe seems missing from the repo from where other dependencies should be also installed…
It is maybe recent or erlier update in dependencies or who provided specific EGSL version the dependency lua52 package still could not compile without errors this way not provided as package or forgot to create a package about it.
Or did some other mistake in the recipe which was not error in his local compiler environment as they referred dependency as lua52 - and it worked there, but not in case Haiku install as the package name is different on the repo from where it should be installed as a package.

I checked this also …

~> pkgman search lua
Status  Name                    Description                                                                       
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lua                     A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language                     
        lua5.1                  A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language                     
        lua5.1_devel            A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language (development files) 
        lua5.1_source           A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language (source files)      
S       lua5.2                  A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language                     
        lua5.2_devel            A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language (development files) 
        lua5.2_source           A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language (source files)      
        lua5.3                  A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language                     
        lua5.3_devel            A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language (development files) 
        lua5.3_source           A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language (source files)      
        lua_devel               A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language (development files) 
        lua_source              A powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language (source files)      

I found the following lua packages above - as you can see … with a different package name.

Seems only the EGSL package’s recipe should be adjusted to install lua5.2 package instead of lua52 package as the given language that requirement for EGSL package this way will be installed without error.

Unfortunately pkgman does not provide information actually which repo contains the appropriate package and to know where to write to fix this issue, so you have to check the packages in HaikuDepot program.

However , as the game comes from BeSly repo, I think EGSL might be as well, especially as if I remember well the 2 generous fellows behind BeSly services posted about games using EGSL on the forum years before.

Yepp, I found it in HaikuDepot as EGSL comes from Besly Software - so BeSly repo

All lua* packages from Haikuports repo. - I found out that clicked on selected repos in HaikuDepot. lua* packages were available only when Haikuports selected.

So you may have quick fix on this EGSL package if you ask
@lelldorin
and/or
@lorglas

about this lua dependency issue - as just I was doing … right now …
adding their forum name after a ‘commercial a’
They will be informed as they were mentioned in this post this way.

Anyway, If you would have issue with the Lua* packages itself - you should have find it on Github and open an issue ther
as Haikuports devs actually uses Github services for issue reporting.

If you have already managed to setup IRC channels of Haiku - then you can try to share your issue there.

Now you can hope the guys checks the EGSL stuff and gives you hint or fix the package if our finding is valid.

I assume this way you can get not only answer to your last question, but a resolution / fix as well.

Until then you can try out the games offered by @michel to you. :sunglasses: