Cheapest working haiku box

You seem misled yourself. I said “own ARM hardware”. You are the person pointing out the working status of the OS. I own ARM hardware, but never said I was runing Haiku on it.

If you want to know the ARM port status there is another thread for that…

2 Likes

Then again, the topic is “Working Haiku Box” so the mention of ARM hardware is questionable.
I, too, own ARM hardware… and I hope to be able to run Haiku on one of them in the future… but we’ll have to settle for x86 hardware for now.

2 Likes

That’s partly my fault. I misinterpreted it at first.

2 Likes

Haiku is primarily and fully supported on x86 and x86_64 hardware only.

• ARM64 Port Status is still a work in progress. tqh is the current lead contributor on that porting effort - and can answer any of those related questions.

• My Haiku RISC-V port progress’ for RISCV64 hardware is still a work in progress. X512 is the current lead contributor on that porting effort - and can answer any of those related questions.

3 Likes

i5 Lenovo Thinkpad X220 or X230 are cheap Haiku box options.

2 Likes

I’d get the lenovo m710q suggested by @extrowerk some time ago. Haven’t tried it myself but it’s small, smart, reasonably powerful, and cheap (second hand).

If you want a laptop I can cast another vote for the x220 or x230 thinkpads, but if you’re going to use one as a laptop rather than with an external monitor then make sure you get one with an IPS LCD because the TN panel is really terrible. Also, the x230 is preferable because it has USB3 while the x220 only has USB2 (unless you get the expensive and rarer i7 CPU model).

4 Likes

Anybody running Haiku on an Intel NUC?

1 Like

Runs fine on NUC8i5BEH1.
But it is certainly not the cheapest.

1 Like

I think this is what I’ll get as I’d rather have a desktop.

1 Like

has Radeon R2 graphics supported by Haiku but only pci slot not pciexpress, ethernet is work and sound too work

2 Likes

price is 35euro you need case and etc pico psu

1 Like

Everyone recommends the Thinkpad X220, but it has no working video output (only the internal lcd panel) and audio is not perfect (I have to use opensound and it doesn’t always work immediately at boot). Might be acceptable, but you should know that before buying.

4 Likes

My Thinkpad T450s works really well. But I haven’t put beta 3 on it yet. I think another user said it works Ok with EFI boot which I am using as well.

Sound and wi-fi works. Also I find very useful that I can configure video output from firmware settings and use it as a desktop computer with external monitor. Which is how I am using it.

1 Like

T440s works also really good.

Just deployed R1B3 to a $30 Dell Optiplex 780 USDT (Core 2 Duo 2.9xGHz/4GB/300GB)

Runs like a dream, all hardware, including video, audio (internal speaker plus front and back ports), usb, serial, eSATA, DVDR, etc works well. Not the fastest option, but satisfyingly performant for a cheap old machine.

1 Like

…cheapest working box…Asus eeePC 700 generally works in 32bit!

1 Like

I have also had the same initiative as you and my interest in getting a small and cheap Haiku Box has been reborn, since some other member of the Hackaday.io community finally had the desire to make a box for Raspberry Pi 4 with the front design of the BeBox

Knowing in advance that the Haiku port to ARM64 is not even close to being ready, I was currently looking for cheap alternatives with x86 CPU but with the size and ports format of the Raspberry Pi 4 and I got the Rock Pi X:

A quick search on Amazon led me to some offers with only about $ 89 you can get one of the last 5 in stock, but of course, it would only be the model with 2GB RAM & 16GB EMMC but it is the minimum requirement necessary to install and run Haiku, They also have versions with 4GB RAM & 32GB EMMC and 4G RAM & 128G EMMC at $ 125.99 and $ 159.99 respectively.

2 Likes

The Rock Pi X is nice, I had one a while ago (installed Linux for my brother) and I tried booting Haiku on it but I had no luck. Also, as far as I know, eMMC does not work on Haiku yet.

The board is very similar to the Raspberry Pi… so it would probably fit in the BeCase with minimal modifications. If it could be made to work that would be super sweet.

1 Like

This is still true.

2 Likes

OH … I was not aware of that problem with EMMC in Haiku, I have not installed it in a hardware system for a long time, I usually have a VM somewhere testing an image from time to time, I think I still have one BFS partition on my old HP Intel Core 2 Quad with 4GB RAM computer, it ran Haiku Beta2 without problems, it had a Radeon HD 8350 graphics.

Beyond very good used hardware options from a few years ago, I still have an interest in getting a Single Board Computer. perhaps reaching a top of $ 200 you could still get some Odroid-H2 + that although it also has an option for EMMC has a mPCIe 2.0 x4 port for one M.2 NVMe storage:

Aside from the Odroid PCB being Blue like how the original BeBox PCB was, the 110 x 110mm size could work, it would probably fit in that 3D Printed BeBox Case with minimal modifications like you said.

2 Likes