Changing read/write permissions

I can only boot into the nightly images using safe graphics mode so was trying to use the alpha stable intel_extreme.accelerant (as that one works) but don’t know how to change the permissions to allow me to change the file. Being newish to this I need help. Thanks for any info,Brian. I am using a compaq pressario all-in-one sg215 UK computer and the alpha 4.1 works perfect but with no package manager and you tube not working I would like to update it. Thanks again for any help.

[quote=“bcroll, post:1, topic:5746, full:true”]
I can only boot into the nightly images using safe graphics mode so was trying to use the alpha stable intel_extreme.accelerant (as that one works) but don’t know how to change the permissions to allow me to change the file. [/quote]

Where is the file you want to change? Since much is virtual in haiku it can be that the file placed on a write protected area. Therefore it can be that the writing permission must not change / can.

Copy the file into the /boot/home/config/non-package area (same folder like the original) and change it there.

You probably want to blacklist the intel_extreme driver … here you can find more info about how to …
https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/daily-tasks/blacklist-packages/

Finally got round to trying to blacklist the intel_extreme.accelerant. Following the example, I put haiku at ‘packagename’ and /system/add-ons/accelerant/intel_extreme.accelerant at ‘entrypath’ saved as packages in /system/settings but no luck. The reason I suggested changing the permissions to allow replacing the accelerant is because I read that someone else replaced it and it worked but they never mentioned how. Thanks for your help and would appreciate further help for this problem. (did I do the packages thing correctly?, can i change permissions to allow copying other accelerant while using the system?) look forward to any suggestions, Brian

Try as

Package haiku {
	EntryBlacklist {
		add-ons/accelerants/intel_extreme.accelerant
	}
}

Tried blacklisting again as suggested but now it boots to the rocket and no further. If it’s not possible to change the accelerant can I load the safe mode graphics driver without having to press shift to enter safe mode menu every time? as the safe mode driver works fine. Thanks for advice, Brian

As suggested by Begasus, you can try to blacklist the intel_extreme driver instead.
By blacklisting the driver itself, Haiku should fallback to vesa. Then, if you want to set a proper/different vesa resolution, you can make a text file called “vesa” inside /boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers folder, with the following content:
mode 1360 768 32 wich describe the screen resolution and the color depth which you want to set. Obviously my example is ok for my screen.
But before to set this config file, let’s see if the vesa mode is ok for you.

To blacklist the intel_extreme driver, your blacklist file should be:

Package haiku {
	EntryBlacklist {
		add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin/intel_extreme
	}
}

Let us know if works.

The only difference between your example and mine is that I added .accelerant to the intel_extreme. I doubt it is significant but if it is please let me know. As it is my packages file hasn’t worked so unless you inform me about the accelerant format being essential I will go ahead and try the vesa text file approach. Thanks for your help, Brian
PS. I have been assuming that the file ‘packages’ and ‘vesa’ are normal text files. It occurred to me that it may be HTML or some other format. Please advise.

You need it exactly as Giova84 has shown:

• The path does not start with /system (it is relative to the /system directory)
  • The file name has no .accelerant (you don’t need to disable the accelerant, but you do need to disable the driver - they are different files)

The files are plain text file but the syntax is strict.

It worked, Thanks so much, It not only worked but I now have a better resolution on my screen. Why are people still using windows when the open open source community is so responsive and helpfull witout expecting a profit from it. Obviously you guys deserve donations to continue developing but for folk in my situation that receive £60 pw due to Tory sanctions applied to my benefits that were wrongly calculated by them but resposibility passed to me, the open source operating systems are a life saver, and the ability to work on old hardware is another boon. Thanks, Brian