Can't get Scribus 1.5.2 to work

Hi, everyone!

I’ve been trying to get Scribus 1.5.2 working in Haiku. I’ve managed to compile it using Haikuporter under the x86_64 but the resulting hpkg does not install. Tried installing it on the x86_ggc2 and gcc5 to no avail.

Anyone has a clue why this happens? Can’t Scribus 1.5 really work? Is there anything to do about it?

Thank you so much.

Try this one. It is an older version, but it should work
http://clasquin-johnson.co.za/michel/repo/packages/scribus_x86-1.4.5-6-x86_gcc2.hpkg
Sorry, x86_gcc2 only

I have tried version 1.4.5, in fact I have 1.4.6 installed.
I really wanted to install the nightly version 1.5.2 for which there’s a recipe in Haikuporter.

This can only leave us guessing.

I mean I open the packege then click on INSTALL. A few seconds later, a dialog shows up saying that this package cannot be installed this time, giving me only the option to cancel the installation process.
The package was built and weighs about 78Mb.

Just tested on x86_64 Haiku, builds, packages installs fine. Please, check again on your side and if it isn’t works, create an issue at haikuports github site (as this stuff comes from Haikuports repo, and have nothing to do with Haiku itself): https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports with a proper error message.
BTW, 1.5.2 isn’t nightly, but a normal release.

1.5.x releases are said to be test Qt5 releases: the Qt4 are officially what should be available for end users. But we could eventually provide a scribus_qt5 hpkg.

Korli,

That would be great. Even knowing it’s beta, version 1.5.2 is considered robust by Scribus’ developers. Please provide such package.

I’ll do it Miqlas. Thank you for your hint.
Scribus 1.5.2 is the development branch but many people use daily because it’s far superior to the stable 1.4.6 version.

Hi folks,

I eventually managed to get Scribus built. It actually runs, quite snappier compared to version 1.4.6, but it crashes when clicking any tool (Text, Shapes, Lines). So it’s basically useless until these bugs get squashed.
I hope the work on this port advances since Scribus would fill an important gap of killer apps in Haiku OS. It’s a full featured DTP app that can handle text editing, vectors, page layout, PDF form creation, PDF for print output etc.

Do you have a stack trace for when it crashes?

Please tell how to get it. I’m not a developer.

Can you run the app from a Terminal session?

There isn’t a standard for logging that Haiku app developers have followed so output normally ends up in the terminal.

Actually, when it crashes, you should get a dialog with a “save report” button. The report (saved on the desktop) has the information needed to investigate the problems.

The app simply disappears with no dialog.
Opening from the terminal here’s what I get:

~> cd /system/apps
/system/apps> Scribus
plainFont: Regular Regular 12
monoFont: Noto Mono Regular 12
menuFont: Noto Sans Regular 12
window()->surfaceType() 0 Qt::WindowType(Desktop)
window()->surfaceType() 0 Qt::WindowType(Desktop)
window()->surfaceType() 0 Qt::WindowType(SplashScreen)
Fontconfig warning: ignoring UTF-8: not a valid region tag
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /packages/scribus-1.5.2-1/.self/data/scribus/icons/1_5_1/AppIcon.png: File not found
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /packages/scribus-1.5.2-1/.self/data/scribus/icons/1_5_1/AllCaps.png: File not found
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /packages/scribus-1.5.2-1/.self/data/scribus/icons/1_5_1/Kapital.xpm: File not found
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /packages/scribus-1.5.2-1/.self/data/scribus/icons/1_5_1/Strike.xpm: File not found
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /packages/scribus-1.5.2-1/.self/data/scribus/icons/1_5_1/outlined.png: File not found
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /packages/scribus-1.5.2-1/.self/data/scribus/icons/1_5_1/shadow.png: File not found
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /packages/scribus-1.5.2-1/.self/data/scribus/icons/1_5_1/shade.png: File not found
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /packages/scribus-1.5.2-1/.self/data/scribus/icons/1_5_1/Revers.png: File not found
window()->surfaceType() 0 Qt::WindowType(Window)
window()->surfaceType() 0 Qt::WindowType(Dialog)
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /packages/scribus-1.5.2-1/.self/data/scribus/icons/1_5_1/DrawTextFrame.xpm: File not found
window()->surfaceType() 0 Qt::WindowType(ToolTip)
QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread

Hi guys,

Scribus 1.5.3 has just been released. This version is deemed by its developers as more stable, faster and full of features than its predecessors.
I wish this version gets its way into haikuporter along with the fixes to make it run without crashing.

As I mentioned before, this app although not native fills an important gap in Haiku and make it a little more productive graphics-wise.

Would you try to update the recipe if i help you?

Of course! but my knowledge is very limited.
You mean updating locally?

Nope, but the recipe in HaikuPorts. You have haikuporter already installed and you have the haikuports git repository cloned locally.
If you wan’t to update the recipe to the latest version, you need only a github registration, nothing else. Let me know if you have that.

Yes I have a github account.