Calling for Advice. Setup/Toolbox/Podman?

I ment server grade type machine - I had not told the Haiku 64 bit on it would be e server version as well.

A specilized Haiku version related to actual one, yes, but just minimally enhanced.

What if a 64bit Haiku installed on an older, but big HW resources capable machine that can SERVE aka RUN more e,g. 6-8 version of virtualized Haiku on different platforms ( those still are under development (32/64 bit ARM, PPC Risc-V, Pa-Risc ) using QUEMU ?

What if you just download the prebuilt virtual image and the appropriate QUEMU launcher script from Haiku site and immediately boot without investigating blocks of a bare metal and forge a stable one of such versions ?

Please let your imagine unchained ! :slight_smile:

Sometimes a server machine just a server machine and can be used as a server but sometimes something different. for example just a home storage server.
Just as what the one of apple guy who streams on YT did when an office storage backend needed for his videofiles of his and his assstant’s YT work reuired as kept as archived ones all the raw footage and edited ones as well.
That’s why he wanted to have them all further usage in new videos and also backup plan as well to be able to reload any or all of them if something happaned with affected video or its channel on YT…

He selected an older server machine he bought on e-Bay or Amazon on a fair price, and installed hundreds of GB hard disks in it and also installed free storage option - a BSD or Linux based storage server - on it.

He showed the result and confirmed his satisfactory, moreover told all features detailed what changed to its previous - ready-to-use NAS box.

What if the developer team of Haiku community or Haiku Inc.would be donated such machine - or money equivalent - and they would start to use it remotely ?

Think about :
they discuss on IRC,
both connected to the same node,
one run the new development
until the other one(s) see the serial output of boot process, and other stuff need to check for function / feature test and all … and etc,

Also can invite testers there … that needs more NICs and capable high bandwidth access.
Let’s see 2 or 3 ports with 10-40 GB Ethernet ports …

In this case can you struggle to tell that Haiku is a DESKTOP operating system in this case ?
When the affected desktop is used remotely on their own Haiku DESKTOP ?

Do we need QUEMU run on a Linux or UNIX machine for developing purposes ?
As I read on this forum the developer environment is question of developer’s choice.
However if the app or OS feature do not come from other platform but old BeOS or Haiku stuff cross compile is unwanted and just developer complicate its life to struggle with and keep its environment on other than native Haiku.

Moreover -
As I know Haiku Posix capable, multi user capable (hidden actually due to security reans only as missing secured curves), so why not use as host to run all developed Haiku on it as virtualized one ?

I hope Haiku Inc. once get an offer to have such server grade hardware or well enough donations to buy an old one but enough capable for such purpose I explain further.

And as if available for them they select a 64 bit Haiku to serve as host and add only minimum uprade to serve as multi user, multi remote accessible SERVER (yes I use this word for a DESKTOP oriented OS as it is its crystal clear purpose - which cannot denied - in this case) to run QUEMU virtual machines using all boot capable Haiku images by Haiku developers and maybe Testing team if that one once established in the future.

Is this enough clear why I used exatly that word too and proposed “SERVER GRADE MACHINES” as well this way ?

Sorry for my passioned tone … I’m such people if something is my scallop. :smiley:

Merry XMAS :wink:

IMO just having multiple, smaller Haiku guest VMs atop a hypervisor would be easier and wouldn’t really require much (if any) changes to Haiku. Haiku remains focused as a desktop operating system, while more purpose-built software can handle the various instances.

Good day,

Thanks @leavengood for merging the topics. Sometimes I forget about things. I’ll try to check more before posting. No need to duplicate topics even with different names.

@KitsunePrefecture, thanks for the explanation though in my case it would be overkill. I just need a simple solution to keep my pc clean from testing and “developing”. The simplest, the better, as long as it’s clean. I just want to have Haiku installed as the single OS of my box, and be able to test Haiku things inside an environment that keeps the box’s OS untouched, and which performance is as close to metal as possible. On Silverblue/Kinoite, using podman/toolbox I can achieve that. On Haiku I didn’t know of a way to do this.

After re-reading @PulkoMandy’s (triggered by @cafeina’s comment) I think that chroot could be the way. I did some research on the topic (using linux for 20+ years never used chroot :joy:) and tried to get a chroot environment up and running without success. Looks like I need to do more study and research on that topic.
For now, chroot complains always that can’t find libreadline.so.8, and is present. I tried with two folder trees following examples, no matter the tree, the error is always the libreadline one:

1st approach: chroot folder name = chrt

chrt -> system -> bin -> bash
                |-> lib -> libreadline.so.8.1
                       |-> libreadline.so.8 (link to libreadline.so.8.1)

2nd approach: chroot folder name = chrt

chrt -> bin -> bash
      |-> lib -> libreadline.so.8.1
             |-> libreadline.so.8 (link to libreadline.so.8.1)

and then chroot chrt /system/bin/bash or chroot chrt /bin/bash
always the error comes out.

Certainly I need more research on this topic. Let’s see if I can find a way and then do something to automate it and make it easy to set.

Any hint on this would be sincerely appreciated. I’m also reviewing the Haikuports stuff to see if I’m missing something there.

Regards,
RR

1 Like

You are welcome, @roiredxsoto