C#

Howdy, i’m an old BeOS user from the ol’days when Be Inc was still around and while my main OS was still BeOS.

I’ve been trying to follow the development over the years and have a question, does anyone know the status of C# programming in BeOS?

Is it yet possible to create terminal and or GUI applications via c#?

If it would finally become possible I for one would once again gladly climb the beos hill with the lot of you once more, with me war cry and sword swinging :slight_smile:

I made a few apps to the beos back in the days but now I can’t stand c and c++ anymore, I’ve been spoilt with higher level langauges.

Thanks in advance!

/Varg

1 Like
Varghjärta wrote:
Howdy, i'm an old BeOS user from the ol'days when Be Inc was still around and while my main OS was still BeOS.

I’ve been trying to follow the development over the years and have a question, does anyone know the status of C# programming in BeOS?

Is it yet possible to create terminal and or GUI applications via c#?

If it would finally become possible I for one would once again gladly climb the beos hill with the lot of you once more, with me war cry and sword swinging :slight_smile:

I made a few apps to the beos back in the days but now I can’t stand c and c++ anymore, I’ve been spoilt with higher level langauges.

Thanks in advance!

/Varg

Someone needs to port mono or a similar project to BeOS before that will be a reality.

There are a few threads here in the forums about this that have been previously discussed (maybe search for “mono”)

Good idea (didn’t search for “mono”, thus my few results maybe).

Well, the other reason was because when otherwise searching I get lots of conflicting ideas, in some places it suggests variants of mono has been ported only not the GUI-part, in other places (such as from you now) it seems there is no implementation at all. I was just curious, thanks for your time! – and will take a few minutes to search for mono too.

Not that I tested it, but there is a “Portable.NET” on bebits:
http://www.bebits.com/app/4072

It states that it features a C# compiler and runtime. So that might help you?

What did happen with .NET for haiku?

C# developer (as using it & get paid) here!

Putting back the language porter (noob & failed to port shame) robe: It takes too much work to get a basic bootstrapped mono to keep compiling the new versions which require a working mono on your Haiku, and doesnt work 100%.

Also, since version 5.0 (IIRC), they began to use Roslyn C# compiler, which code doesnt want to work nicely with previous compiler (MCS). So you get a pre 5.0 version than cannot go forward in versions (yay!).

Btw mono sources were huge in quantity and took too long to decompress, compile and delete once you are done with them (probably because i had them in a query enabled partition).

However, mono can be ditched in favor of trying to port .Net Core code, which could be a new source of having C# code on Haiku. But that’s only for code that has been written in either .Net Core or .Net Standard and not previous code (like .Net Framework 3.x or 4.x). Also has no gui, no support of traditional ASP.NET websites, nor… well you get the idea. It still rocks for developing new apps / mvc sites for Linux tho.

That’s what happened.

Real Haiku mono porter Calvin thread: Porting Mono
Amazing blog post of what you can do in Mono previous to 5.0 by calvin: http://minisoc.xyz/HaikuMono/

I doublechecked that on my sources, had some fun, moved to other langs (nodeJS)

1 Like