Bt848 and original addon

I put a PCI Ati Wonder (Booktree 848) analog tuner in one of my computers, I know the card works under beOS because I used it a lot in the past.
Now, I thought that moving the bt848.media_addon file from BeOS 5 to /boot/home/config/non-packaged/add-ons/media would let it appear in the media preferences window but even if the system boots correctly it doesn’t show up anything.

In syslog I’ve a lot of these messages:
KERN: acquire_advisory_lock(vnode = 0xe1bf5790, flock = 0x814b2efc, wait = no)
KERN: Last message repeated 2 times.
KERN: check_sense: encountered DEFERRED ERROR - bye, bye
KERN: Last message repeated 4 times.

Am I doing something wrong?
Haiku is x86_gcc2 hrev53496

post the full syslog via pastebin…

As far as I know the addon isn’t the driver… and the media addon probably doesn’t show up unless the hardware is detected via a driver. you’d need that part too. I’d guess there is a moderately low chance of this working though.

Others have had some sucess with BeOS drivers in Haiku though so maybe worth a shot.

1 Like

https://pastebin.com/raEN3S04

Thank you for this tip :slight_smile: I dug a little bit and I found it.
Now it appears in Media :smiley:
screenshot1

2 Likes

A pity that there’s no software that can use it

I’m pretty certain the built-in TV application may be able to utilize it. However, I am not certain about the state of the TV application as there has been no easy way to test it. Would you like to be the first tester in a while? :wink:

1 Like

The TV program is called Cody, if I remember correctly. In case you’re wondering what that is.

Well, that could be another program to utilize. However, CodyCam and TV are separate programs just to give a heads up. (The TV application will forever remain in CodyCam’s shadow :slight_smile:)

Dang, you’re right. I did not remember correctly!

The TV app is AFAIK DVB only. CodyCam might work…
Maybe you can also hack things to pieces with Cortex.

Very nice app that I bought, but never used: eXposer (try from PulkoMandy’s archive). There’s also stampTV and the personalStudio Demo.

I don’t have a capture card and haven’t tried those at all. Please report back. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In media prefs, after configuring video settings to use the acquisition card as video-in source, I tried both programs and none of them could use the card.

Sure, I’ll be happy to do it :slight_smile:

Great! But I’m trying all the softwares you mentioned, without luck:
I’ve attached an analog camera to the composite jack
but no signal is detected in any software, as I posted before in pastebin, a lot of errors appear in syslog; before continuing this test I want to check if there’s a problem on the power supply/PCI Power.

anyway in Codycam, opening video settings from its menu, a tiny shrinked window of the capture card video settings appears on the top left corner, fortunately it’s resizable.

Please create bug reports for CodeCam and probably syslog errors if they come from Haiku components.

Maybe we could use a recipe to canibalize certain parts of BeOS R5 like this bt848 driver. Obviously it would only work on 32bit Haiku but still.

So here we are, I installed Haiku 32bit beta1 on a different hw in which works nearly everything. I put inside the card, moved the driver bt848 in /boot/home/config/non-packaged/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin as beOS did, linked it in /boot/home/config/non-packaged/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/video/bt848
put the add-on bt848.media_addon in /boot/home/config/non-packaged/add-ons/media. Rebooted.
configured media preferences to use the right video input source (if I don’t do it codycam says in the central box that there’s no webcam connected)
Started codycam and the central box it’s completely empty, no signal, no pictures no text.

Syslog shows no errors at all (except that the card is called Bt878)

Gonna do it

1 Like

As other video-in apps does not get video flux maybe there’s a subsistem problem, not strictly related to CodeCam.

It might be interesting to package some of the BeOS drivers and addons (though the PE license might not permit that)… Should even be possible to write a HaikuPort recipe that mounts the ISO and extract them to make an HPKG.
Still, that’d only be useful for x86_gcc2.

The program exposer was working with the S-VHS input.