Browser and Partitioning Suggestions for Haiku install

I am one of those Haiku users that used to check things out once or twice each year but my collection of hardware never seems all that compatable…no wifi, audio problems, boot problems etc.

This recent visit shows a much more responsive and comfortable system for everyday use even tho my ‘wifi’ is via a ethernet cable under the carpet.

I read that people are using Haiku regularly and wonder if they can share advise on the most suitable browser…qupzilla and webpositive tend to drop out frequently.

I have Haiku installed on a 4GB USB dongle but the install fills the space and I was wondering about ways to partition the drive to maximise its use.

…any and all hints appreciated :wink:

1 Like

You can make a be partition with the usb, i use qupzilla for some things and webpositive for others (only one tab here)… i am using 20gb on an amdx2 with ethernet cable tooyou should know it is a “pre” Beta, at least as i see it, then yes it will crash some times but, mmm is not so unstable as it was 3 years ago :wink: re-welcome

…you are right, Haiku much more usable.

I have the USB partitioned as BEos ok, but should there be /swap or /home partitions:9

…the browsers are very ‘tentative’ but can repond with audio and sounds…lookin good!

Hello and welcome! About browsers, you also had a third option: Otter browser.

And about partitions, if you can allocate a 20 GB partition in the hard drive, I guess is enough. Also, using a hard drive is faster than a USB drive.

Also, if you are planning to exchange data between Haiku and Windows, maybe you can add an small FAT32 partition too.

Swap is more like windows file not a partition, then is not needed.

Concerning web browsers… I use a combination of Web+, QupZilla, Dooble, Otter, Lynx, and Links.

Thanks for the tip about exchanging data…might come in handy?

I always felt that a swap partition is used to facilitate buffering of RAM use when required but i guess it is not needed with Haiku…

Thanks Dcatt I have tried Web+ qupzilla Otter and will have alok at the others.

Haiku use a swap file, but it is located in the same partition that the OS (like Windows, for example). So, you don’t need to have a dedicated partition for the swap.

Just need some available space in the partition where do you choose to install the OS (for this reason, if you have a very small partition, you will not have enough room for the swap file).

Sorry if my english is not very good! :wink:

1 Like

Your English is fine…from memory, when you DD to a drive, file size is something less than 1GB so my my 4GB USB drive should be enough to allow the SWAP space…the laptop runs 2GB ram so it should not be accessed very often.

…and I guess you are also suggesting that a /home file is not needed (or possible)

I use a, three 20gb partition on my computer, a shared partition for data transfer between varius haiku installations and one 32bit haiku and 64bit haiku (most a test partition on top with only 8gb).

I does not know if you can make partitions on a usb stick, because i never get this done. But if it is possible you need to install bootman (bootmanager) on this stick too.

Haiku is not linux and does not use a swap partition. As the post before, haiku use space of your main drive.

“Home” is a folder on /boot. Haiku doesn’t need/suppport dedicated partitions for home or swap.

One more thing when you run out of free space on /boot: Have a look at /system/packages/administration/. Here Haiku keeps “states” of the packages every time you un/install packages. Those can be used to boot into a specific state from the boot options (holding shift while booting up). If you un/install often and large packages, you may get some space back by deleting old states. Having lots of states around also decreases boot speed, so cleaning up once in a while isn’t a bad idea anyway.
These limitations are AFAIK already reported in the bugtracker.

2 Likes

Much thanks to lelldorin and humdinger…i’m getting a lot of new info that will make life with haiku better. It is new to me in a lot of ways and clearly needs a different approach to my ‘Linux’ mentality.

To clear up any misunderstanding, I have Haiku installed on a 4GB usb dongle…it boots, so I don’t to do anything more than manage the use of space…I didn’t know about the matter with /system/packages/administration…can’t wait to check this out!

Sorry, It all seems very basic to the experienced user but is a minefield to me.

You can take a look at our knowledge base besly to learn more too.

The haiku guides are good and questions will be aswert if we can :slight_smile:

Hello! About this topic, you can install the FilWip app (available at HaikuDepot). With this app, you could delete the old “states” in an easy way.

The old “states” are useful where do you found that something is broken in a recent update. So, you can boot using a previous version of the system. Before you run the FilWip, make sure that you don’t need the previous states (in other words: if nothing broke after a system update, usually don’t need the previous states :slight_smile:).

Thank you, what a relief! I have a column of ‘states’ that need to go and this will make it easier.

What about ‘transactions’ …can they go? I’ve got many of those stacked up as well.

Hello! I’m not sure about what they meaning. Could you post an screenshoot?

That’s Ok…they cleared when I ran FilWip and everything is working well…appreciate your quick response! …and the tip about FilWip.

1 Like

Feel free to ask if you need more help :thumbsup: