Broadcom Wireless Support for the Nightly builds

So, the Atheros chipsets work? Good to know. According to Wikipedia all Macs since “late 2008” (source) use Broadcom chipsets. The teardowns made by iFixIt describe the chipsets found in the hardware.

Here at home we have an old MacBook (early 2008, I believe) and an old MacBook Pro (mid 2007). The MacBook Pro has Wi-Fi, but the MacBook only gets internet access through an Ethernet connection. I don’t remember anymore what chipsets they have, but probably one is Atheros and the other eis Broadcom.

1 Like

Yes and no. I have to agree with @victordomingos that my MacBook only gets a solid Internet connection via Ethernet. The wireless card is detected on my late 2006 MacBook and does manage to connect – but the connection isn’t stable and drops often to the point it is not really reliable. It’s generally a better idea to just use Ethernet, either by bridging with a Mac that does have working wireless through Sharing preferences on the Mac or otherwise by connecting directly to a wired connection. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Well, Mac hardware currently has a lot of other problems (EFI booting problems, frequent KDLs, etc.) so WiFi drivers alone are not going to be much help.

I think I actually have some hardware here with a Broadcom WiFi chip, so if there really is interest I may already have something to test with.

4 Likes

I also have a netbook with a BCM43xx WiFi chip, so I’m also interested in this working in Haiku.

1 Like

Did you have a chance to test those Broadcom WiFi back then? I’m looking into installing Haiku on a MacBook with the BCM43602 adapter which is supported by OpenBSD but AFAIU not by Haiku, right?

1 Like

What’s the PCI ID? It looks like it’s supported, but Broadcom’s model numbers are extremely confusing, so without a specific PCI ID it’s hard to say.

If it’s indeed supported by the OpenBSD bwfm driver, then yes, I can port that over and you should get support that way.

6 Likes

14E4:43BA (fwiw, subvendor:subdeviceid is 106b:0152)

You can use listdev in Terminal Haiku

Yes, that’s one of the supported IDs in the OpenBSD bwfm driver.

Let me know when you have Haiku up and running on your laptop and I’ll work on porting the driver.

6 Likes

I’m also interested in the driver as I have a MacBook Pro Early 2013 with Broadcom 14e4:43a0 ready to test.

2 Likes

I don’t think this will help.

The cards in those Macbooks are extremely difficult to use on Linux and have no drivers on any BSD unless using the Linux drivers as FreeBSD can do.

1 Like

https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/dev/ic/bwfm.c

https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/dev/ic/bwfmreg.h

https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/dev/ic/bwfmvar.h

2 Likes

43A0 is BCM4360, which isn’t handled by any OpenBSD driver. I don’t think this is a “fullmac” device (the class of hardware bwfm handles.)

2 Likes

Apologies for the long-overdue response. I finally have Haiku installed on my MacBook Pro 2015. If you can port the driver for the 14E4:43BA device I’d gladly test it.

1 Like

For the reference, here’s the Trac ticket I created:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/18906

1 Like

For the EFI booting problem the solution was really simple, to the point that I found it on my own.

As soon as I reinstall Haiku on a Macbook I will make a video on how to work around the problem.

Am I right bwfm is not there yet?

Yes, it isn’t very high on my priority list at the moment, and at this point probably won’t be until after beta5.

No rush. In any case, I’d like to dump the NVRAM config of my BCM43602 before we start experimenting with the OpenBSD driver and firmware. And to do that I’d need to install Linux and passthrough the PCI device to a QEMU with macOS. I have a feeling that beta5 release will happen sooner than I’m done with all the things on my side :hourglass_flowing_sand:

One question though, when you add the bwfm driver to the codebase would it be possible to use/backport it to the beta5 release? I think more people could benefit from it if it’s not a “nigthly-only thing”.