Broadcom wifi driver, help compiling

Hello

I have installed Haiku (beta2) on a Acer Aspite 3820T. It runs graet, but I can only connect it over ethernet.

When I execute install-wifi-firmwares.sh, I get this error …
[…]
Compiling b43-fwcutter for installing Broadcom’s firmware …
… failed to compile b43-fwcutter.
…failed. broadcom43xx’s firmware will not be installed.
[…]

So I have inspected the script … it seems to download a file, b43-fwcutter-015.tgz. I have downloaded it … and the problem is that I have no make nor gcc … so I have intalled both packages … but now I have other error …

~/Desktop/b43-fwcutter-015> make
CC obj/fwcutter.o
In file included from fwcutter.c:33:
/boot/system/develop/tools/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-haiku/8.3.0/include/c++/stdlib.h:30:3: warning: #include_next is a GCC extension

include_next <stdlib.h>

^~~~~~~~~~~~
/boot/system/develop/tools/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-haiku/8.3.0/include/c++/stdlib.h:30:16: fatal error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory

include_next <stdlib.h>

^~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.
Makefile:44: recipe for target ‘obj/fwcutter.o’ failed
make: *** [obj/fwcutter.o] Error 1

I have little experience with Haiku, so I cannot go further … Is there any package I need to compile it?
I will thanks any help, so I can use Haiku on this laptop.

Thank

Otosan69

Weird, this file is part of gcc package.

you need the haiku_devel package to be installed, if you disabled it during installation the script will not work?

I suppose the script could check this beforehand…

1 Like

@otosan69 : This firmware files required only by some very old wifi chips. Are you sure you have one of this old cards? Chances you can spare the pointless fight wih the script (for example it won’t give you support for BCM4312 based cards which is very common). Could you post your wlan card type?

04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

Then you can stop right now as this card not supported at this moment on Haiku.
Haiku uses the bwi driver from Freebsd, but yours would require the bwn one, which is not yet available on Haiku.

Try to swap your wlan card to a supported one.

:frowning:

Which one is best supported ?? can you recomend me anyone?

I use intel 7260, works ok.

I have swapped my wifi for a intel and now all works …

Thank

:smiley:

3 Likes

Are there any plans on supporting bwn in the future?

Only @waddlesplash can tell where are the roadblocks.

Nice to know it is working for you…
How much did you pay for it?
I am asking since I like to know why some people prefer to wait for an driver instead to buy another card, if it is not that expensive!?

I paid 34€ … but now it is 20€ …
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00N7474CS

And I agree with you … some times it is better to go the easy way.

In my case, there are either no stocks nearby or the shipping will be costly and take a long time. I’m in the Asia-Pacific (SEA) area, unlike prolly most people here.

at least you have a lot of pirate ware over there. Sorry could not resist…