Brand New to Haiku

Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself. I grew up a Windows kid in the 90’s and switched to Linux in 2010 but never really learned much about other alternative operating systems. I recently heard about Haiku while listening to the backlog of Bryan Lunduke’s podcast so I tried it out in a VM and liked what I saw. I just installed Beta 2 onto my T42 to give it a real chance. I had been running XP on it as my dedicated writing/blogging machine, but after seeing how quick Haiku ran even from a USB I’m hopeful to really be able to breathe new life into this old ThinkPad. Cheers!

5 Likes

Welcome.

I run my music on a dedicated T42, using Puppy Linux and it’s fine, but I will change over to Haiku when it can output digital sound to my DAC.

The T42 is a great laptop, and is superb for this sort of task. The ones with the lovely 1400x1050 screens are also great for word processing.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve been trying to get the best machines I could for the last 5-10 years now, but I really started to miss the simplicity and reliability of a great keyboard and a 4x3 display.

I’m running Haiku on an R51 (Haiku R1/B2 32 bit as the only OS) and an R61 (Haiku Nightly 64 bit - Dual boot with MX Linux) and both are working great !

1 Like

Welcome! Haiku is an amazing work of art, and something that is truly unique in the world of open-source operating systems. The community here is great. Hop on IRC and if you run into any bugs, please report them at https://dev.haiku-os.org !

2 Likes