Bootloading/installing

1. Does the installer clone the files and icons on the desktop (from the source drive to the destination drive)?

2. I finally managed to boot my installed Haiku from HD, it took me a long time. But it was a bad hack because Grub2 sucks! (And despite what @PulkoMandy said in the wishlist thread some time ago, the bootloader for Haiku is NOT automatically installed. Off course I might have done something wrong.)

3. If I would manage to install the Haiku bootloader/boot-menu would I be able to boot Linux from it?

Edit: 4. Using Haiku feels intuitive like Windows, beautiful like Apple, indie like Linux :slight_smile:

Haiku-Greetings
Peter

Yes, the installer clones everything including the desktop.

The bootloader isinstalled insioe the haikupartition so you don’t need to use makebootable. But there is another level of the bootprocess: the master boot record at the start of the disk. This is normally a simple piece of code that selects a partition (either the active one, or from a menu), load the bootloader there, and starts it. This is standardized between all OS running on x86, except Linux. Linux needs GRUB.

In the case of Haiku you have 3 ways to get a valid MBR:

• create a partition table in drivesetup, this automatically writes the mbr code (a version that just picks the active partition)
  • use the writembr command
  • use BootManager which installs a menu to choose which partition to boot

Unfortunately if you want to run Linux you have little choice as you need to load that through GRUB. You can either use GRUB as the master boot record, that’s how it is by default in most Linux distributions, and then use the “chainloader” option in it to boot the non-Linux systems. Or ycu can keep a standard MBR, and put GRUB inside the Linux partition, if you use a filesystem that reserves space for it there.

2 Likes