Booting our RISC-V images | Haiku Project

Just a friendly reminder as there are a few of us that noe of these models. It’s only 9 hours left to back this project and buy a cheap mini RISC-V computer…

3 Likes

I worry Kickstarter can be trusted. I plan to wait until regular sales will be started.

5 Likes

that’s my plan

1 Like

The Kickstarter funding project is noe closed. More tjen 2000 ordered computers.

Latest update from the company:
To order more boards, WiFi dongles and other peripherals, please refer to our official purchase platforms.

So now that should be possible…

1 Like

Started :slight_smile: , i too get this :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I just ordered the 8GB model of VisionFive 2. I’ll make sure to test Haiku on it, if and when it’s supported.

4 Likes

So. Here’s a status update:

• qemu-system-riscv64 - working
  • VisionFive 2 - Kernel starting, Serial working. Kernel crashes starting CPU
  • SiFive Unmatched - I need to test again. “should” be working…

The most exciting thing is with qemu-system-riscv64 working again, anyone can try Haiku on riscv64 with just a hand-full of commands. :partying_face:

18 Likes

What does it mean? Kernel do not start CPUs, it is done by boot loader.

arch_smp_boot_other_cpu. Same issue I communicated to you in matrix :wink:

And yeah, I misspoke, it happens while exiting EFI, but before we’re within the kernel.

I get my VisionFive2 :)(another text readed any, and cleaned), this about… I’ll tell differently

2 Likes

4 Likes

I got my VisionFive 2 as well. It works pretty well with Debian, Gnome and Wayland. Browsing the web in Firefox, it feels like using a regular desktop PC. Unfortunately, Imagination is dragging their feet in regards to open source graphics drivers. So far there is no desktop OpenGL or Vulkan, only GLES. This limits its usefulness in regards to multimedia, but watching videos inside Firefox seems to work well.

I’ll make sure to test Haiku if it gets ported.

4 Likes

More interesting RISC-V hardware coming out, very tempted to get this tablet for just $159 if there is a chance we could get Haiku running on it:

2 Likes

Looking at the specs, I just realized it matches the VisionFive 2, did they manage to fit one inside?

I’ve seen the announcement for that one on Pine64s blog,too,and I’m also very interested in it.
As soon as I see screenshots of Haiku running on it,I’ll immediately order one.
I can’t really contribute to making it work,unfortunately,as that’s far too low-level for me.
But it’s sure a nice thing to play around with :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@X512 has already managed to boot Haiku on it 2 days ago?, see his progress thread on this board in this forum.

I think that was the VisionFive 2,which is a single-board-computer,not the PineTab-V tablet.

StarFive’s VisionFive 2 and Pine64’s Star64 are very similar (but not identical) boards that carry the same CPU. The PineTab-V appears to be based on Star64.

Yes,but that doesn’t automatically mean that Haiku must successfully boot to the desktop on the PineTab-V.
It would be really great if it did,but $159 is a bit too much risk for being the first to try that.

They provided the Vulkan driver, compiler and a Linux kernel DRM driver support in the Linux kernel and Mesa since last year:

I looked at their DRM code and GPU specs awhile ago…

3 Likes