Booting our RISC-V images | Haiku Project

I just purchased the 8GiB edition if it helps encourage y’all to buy them :slight_smile: . $64 is nothing for a 4 core / 8GiB RV64GC board.

9 Likes

I totally did that 5 secs before!!! LOVE!!!

2 Likes

I’ve just backed VisionFive 2 - open source quad-core RISC-V dev board.

2 Likes

I may be too get this, thank.
maybe a good choice is to pay so as not to receive surprises in the future at the end … From another community :thinking: if get device on special terms, although the offers are tempting

does haiku work in these voards now ?

I am also very interested in the VisionFive 2 and the Pine64 Star64. I’ve dismissed earlier boards, but these two have an integrated GPU, in addition to being very cheap. I hope that operating systems will opt for ISOs and a normal x86-style installation method this time, to make it feel like a real PC.

3 Likes

Probably not. A few drivers will be needed unless the hardware is extremely standard (and I don’t expect hardware to be standard, even when it claims to be).

1 Like

I am hovering about ordering the visionfive 2 because of the star64 at present. The star64 has a pcie slot which means it may be easier for it to run haiku (with a radeon GPU attached). Otherwise their specs are almost identical (same SoC). I guess that with the right adapter it might be possible to connect a GPU to the M2 slot on the visionfive? Hopefully haiku will at least get framebuffer support for the BXE-4-32 GPU at some point.

1 Like

Indeed. We will need to put some work into supporting various components of the board.

However, with a UEFI bios via u-boot, we should have serial working on day one. With some additional luck our vesa framebuffer driver will also work on day one. That’s a big unknown though.

Networking, PCI, etc will need drivers.

So… While day 1 support is limited, we should be “starting” or “attempting to boot” on day 1. If you want a project, investing in the Visionfive 2 would be a fun project to help us out. The cost is also low.

The low-price 2GiB board should be able to boot Haiku as well as the 8GiB board. (though, more ram more better :slight_smile: )

As a side note, Haiku nor Haiku, Inc. have any direct business relationship with StarFive. They just seem like good technical candidates as presented. (I know as much as y’all do)

5 Likes

Where did you order board?

2 Likes

I would buy one of them with the initial intention to run Linux. Judging by the comments made by devs in this thread, it seems likely that Haiku will have some degree of support, but I would especially temper my expectations in regards to 3D acceleration since that isn’t even available on x86.

Still, even if I only get to use them with Linux, the boards are quite interesting. Haiku support would be a nice bonus.

I’m pretty sure @X512 showed 3D acceleration working on RISC-V using radeon (as well as on x86) but indeed it is just a proof of concept, not yet released.

1 Like

It’s a Kickstarter project, so I guess we all bought it here.

2 Likes

I’d happily send a few of the visionfive 2.0 boards to devs

4 Likes

Does it mean that there are no board stock yet?

It’s a pre-production kickstarter. They list shipping dates.

So no regular sales?

No. Not yet.

That is correct

I’ll buy 4, I’ll figure out who gets them later

4 Likes