Booting Haiku on a modern laptop without a seeable bios

Hello every one, my wife had a new laptop with win10 and i want to test haiku to run on the hardware, but i does not get setup the machine to boot from usb or cd/dvd.

Do you have any idea?

Remove hdd and install Haiku on another machine. Or replace hdd with another hdd with preinstalled Haiku on it.

Another possibility, using some partition creating and cloning tool. Clone partition from another pc.

Since the arrival of Windows 8., the default boot is most often UEFI and in that configuration, booting from USB is often disabled.

To be able to boot from USB Flash or USB CD/DVD, one often needs to change the boot to Legacy.

In Legacy mode, the hard drive is not accessible and Windows won’t be able to boot. One needs to switch back to UEFI boot mode.

Googling for legacy booting and/or USB booting for the laptop you desire to test Haiku on should lead you to instructions on how to switch between the two boot modes.

Can Haiku boot from UEFI boot mode?

I agree with the others who’ve mentioned to turn off Secure Boot and either remove the disk or clone partitions. But I’d also add in to make sure USB 3 support is off and that legacy support for your HDD or SSD is turned on, as on most newer hardware, doing so helps me avoid panics on startup. Good luck!

So, it looks like it is no longer easy to “dual boot” a recent system with one of the option being Haiku - whether on the hard drive or on a USB drive.

You still can… it’s just that the newer computers shipping with Windows 8-10.x make it a royal pain to dual-boot because of the locks to defeat – even for BSDs and gnu/linuxen now. I wish I was joking when I mention that my E73 workstation had grub overwritten by a recent Windows 10 update last week, which was easy to fix, but still annoying nonetheless. And sadly, that’s largely why I run Haiku on pre-8 machines.

But – I have an optimistic outlook because there’s piles of Windows XP and 7 machines out there being sold or retired asking for Haiku… and there’s x86 boards like the Up board, Jaguar, Minnowboard, etc. and even the Chromebooks with a modified Coreboot we could run to if Secure Boot ever became dystopian. For now, though, dual-booting is still possible and is livable on x86/64 boxes. :slight_smile:

So that means people does not can test haiku anymore if they have a system like this. Thats a big problem, because the marked will bring more systems like this in the future.

Yes, Haiku needs something like ‘BeOS 5 Personal Edition’, to install system from Windows.
…If, this is a problem for BSD and Linux to, be good to cooperate with them.

I did some reading…:

I think, this is an ordinary Microsoft’s attempt to keep monopoly position in a market. Microsoft play dirty, as always. This is a sign of corruption in the USA government.

What’s the link with the US government here??!

If hardware manufacturers want to display the “windows compatible” logo, they have to have Secure Boot and no way to disable it. No law or government or anything involved.

Also, currently, they also require the ability to add custom Secure Boot keys. And they didn’t mention removing that possibility. We could provide our own keys that allow booting an Haiku system.

You can say that will do something after some time, but actually it is not currently done. Possibility is not capability. Product selling now. If Microsoft want computer with only one OS, they must call it not “Personal Computer” but “Microsoft Computer”. This is a customer-deception. People buy a Personal Computer, the PC has more options and possibilities than just “Microsoft Computer”.
And I not talking about logos. Microsoft by manipulating the fear of viruses and etc., which, again, is Microsoft’s own poor work consequence, trying to limit the freedom of competitors, receiving illegal privileges for themselves in the market. Well , how is it possible without protection of the government?

Because nobody (or only very few people) care. The government doesn’t even need to protect them, which makes things even more sad.
People do buy a Microsoft computer and they are happy with it. Except for few persons who understand the technical side a little.

Yes, people do not understand to adequate level, but they KNOW they buy Personal Computer, because it is common knowledge about PC in global culture, and no knowledge about some limited Microsoft Computer.
Government helping for Microsoft by doing nothing about this, what it should do by providing fair playing rules for every player in the market. This is corruption or/and global stupidity.
Under these circumstances, we face a grave economic crisis. Which inevitably follows a cultural crisis, which follows the education crisis. On a global scale.

the “Personal Computer” is a marketing term from IBM, introduced with the IBM8050, that is, the first IBM PC. That machine already shipped with a Microsoft OS. You have been wrong on what “PC” means for the last 30 years.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to buy hardware and software separately. But it is not the case and as far as I know, it has never been in a widely accepted way (not here at least). The OEM PC market is the only place where this has been possible. No way on Apple, no way on Commodore or Atari machines, to get the hardware without the OS. No way as well in any mobile phone or tablet. This is, unfortunately, how things are currently, with the OEM PCs allowing for some exceptions.

I don’t understand why you take this for granted. It is not, and if we want this freedom we have tasted, we must fight for it.

Hey, you forgot IBM OS/2. Actually “Personal Computer” had several options: IBM OS/2, DOS (not MS), MS DOS, MS DOS + Windows, and maybe some UNIX?
And now what? MS Windows and some times Linux.

Modern UEFI systems are also equipped with a CSM BIOS (Compatibility Support Module) and are able to boot from Legacy BIOS Operating Systems. You need to enable the legacy mode.

If you are Dual booting with Windows / Linux or multiple Operating Systems, then you can use Refind Boot Manager.
Refind Boot Manager loads up using UEFI Firmware, and can load the Legacy BIOS CSM based operating systems too, so you can easily dualboot UEFI OS and BIOS OS in parallel using Refind.

I am multibooting a couple of Operating Systems, using Refind.
My Windows, Linux, FreeBSD boots up using UEFI and Haiku boots up using CSM.
If you need more information on this, I can provide you.