Booting Haiku from hard drive (64-bit, MacBook Air, EFI)

I was able to install Haiku OS on my 2011 MacBook Air (MacBookAir4,2) after waddlesplash on Twitter pointed me in the direction for how to disable the Intel video driver and use fallback graphics. Fortunately, Haiku supports my Apple USB Ethernet dongle, so I’m able to get online and get software updates.

My issue is that the installer didn’t provide an EFI bootloader, so I have to use the USB thumb drive which I used for installation to boot Haiku from the hard drive (thanks for that functionality!). How can I get the boot EFI files set up? When partitioning the drive, I did set aside a small partition intended for EFI. I noticed a bootloader installer app on the file system, but running it didn’t do anything (it was for MBR, but I figured I’d try it anyway).

I’m using the 64-bit build of Haiku, and the nightly build image from 22 May.

You should be able to mount the FAT formatted partition from the USB drive, and copy bootx64.efi to /EFI/BOOT/ in the EFI System Partition (ESP).

You should be using GPT partition layout, and the ESP should have the correct GUID assigned (DriveSetup knows these) and then formatted with FAT file system.

That worked! Thank you.