Booth at Opensource events

We have a booth in Chemnitz ( now we just need some people)

I will be at there with my brother, so there are still 2 more places available, if someone would like to join
(Ideally someone who knows more about Haiku than i do ) :wink: till 28 of February.

A Poster will be printed, up to 300 words, or less with images are needed.

Maybe someone can come up with some suggestions, also till 28th of february

thanks

btw.

Do we have some Stickers, CD/DVDs (of b4) T-shirts, mugs?

Any chance beta 5 is ready till mid march? (Or R1 :wink: )

1 Like

@mmu_man
Most people can speak english

Thanks for your help with this!

I can send you stickers and beta1 DVDs (we don’t have anything newer than beta1). Let me know how much (if you have an idea, otherwise I make my own guess) and where to ship them.

For T-Shirts and mugs I think you have to work with the Haiku promotion team and FreeWear, I have no idea what the logistics would be.

Thank you, but i do not think beta1 represents haiku well, maybe i will have some produced, do you think should i go for beta4 or nightly? I think beta5 will not be ready for mid march, unfortunatly.

The Linuxtage Orga will print a poster, with up to 300 words, or less if pictures are included. I am open to suggestions for Text an pictures.

Whos is the Haiku Promotion Team and how can i contact them?

If someone has a RiscV Haiku System for presentation that would be great, i think, if not i have some Thinkpads i can use.

2 Likes

@jt15s was involved previously in the marketing team, not sure who else. Also see here Haiku Marketing

Hi there,

As Munchausen said, I helped out with some promotional efforts in the past and also set up the Haiku Freewear store.

Regarding the poster, we do have some past posters available in this GitHub repository - you could either reuse these if they match the sizes you need or just copy the text:

As for t-shirts and mugs, Freewear offer a service where they send merchandise to FOSS events - they ask you to contact them for details:

In terms of logistics, they’re based in Spain, so shipping should be alright if everything is arranged in advance - as I write this there’s roughly about a month before the event starts so would be good if we can get this arranged pretty soon. I think it would be better if you contacted them directly as it’ll be easier to arrange logistics etc. - you can email them at admin@freewear.org or you can call them using the numbers on this page: Open Source T-shirts | FreeWear.org

I’ll let them know to expect to be contacted regarding this event.

Edit: for reference, here are the merchandise items currently sold on Freewear - we have a mug, several varieties of t-shirts and a cap among other things. Please disregard the 20th anniversary t-shirts, I’ll ask for those to be removed from sale. Haiku merchandise | FreeWear.org

Edit 2: Freewear has just responded, they prefer being contacted by email so please email them at admin@freewear.org as mentioned above.

3 Likes

Thanks for the freewear info

tombhadAC and his wife will be there, so all places are filled

1 Like

I don’t think we should distribute nightly builds.

No one is going to install Haiku from a DVD anyways, so it doesn’t really matter what’s on it. We distribute them more as some kind of “fl%er”, there is info on the dvd sleeve about what is haiku and where to download it. This info could also be reformatted into a flyer, but for now, I’m just trying to get rid of the 200 or so DVDs I have at home. I will certainly print less of them next time.

5 Likes

Do you need permission from the Inc to use the logo for example for thumb drives? How does that work?

I’ve checked in some online stores and found offers for about 3€ for a branded 16GB usb 3.0 thumdrive.

That would satisfy the “recomended” system requirements of Haiku, we could hand those as a live system to try out.

Does the Inc also have a marketing budget that can be requested for that purpose?

1 Like

I was thinking of making some thumbdrives, too, but my budget is limited, unfortunatly. There is also less space on a thumbdrive than on a dvd for printing :wink:

Less space is also less infos that becomes outdated. Even if you are using RW DVD you’re tied with what you printed on the sleeve. If you have a stock of USB keys left after an event, you only have to update them with new version to be ready the year after.
The drawback is that you put your logo on something that people can modify and reuse for something completely different. This can be a problem is they use it for something illegal. You probably wouldn’t be sued but your image can suffer. To be honest, I think that the risk is low and that’s only something to think about when you chose what’s printed.

1 Like

If you use the beta release image, no problem.

If you make changes, you probably need to ask Haiku inc, but if you make only small changes (such as resizing the partition), there shouldn’t be a problem.

But is it a good USB drive? Fast and reliable? Or will it be slow and crashy and randomly eat data?

The inc budget is an on-demand thing: send them an email and ask if they would consider it. Then send them an invoice when the thing is done.

Again, the goal of the DVD is not to distribute the software. It is more a way to celebrate a release with some type of physical token. We have shipped some software that’s good enough and stable enough for burning (forever) into a DVD.

If you switch to any erasable media, that part of it is lost. And then, honestly, just tell people to download Haiku from the website. That will be more convenient for everyone.

1 Like

I use haiku every day from a USB pen drive. I have two, one with the nightly build and one with the official version. Obviously, the USB drive must be very good. I haven’t used kdl for at least two years. It’s an easy way for me to use haiku on any machine at home or in the office without having to change partitions.

I didn’t say Haiku works badly on USB drives generally. But my experience with promotional drives (the one with some company advertising or so) is they tend to be the cheapest possible things, not very reliable and slow.
It would not be a great choice to showcase Haiku, then.

You could give away cheap USB sticks with the Haiku image and a utility to write it to another USB stick that you plug into your computer.

Or you could just give people a download link. On the DVD sleeve there is a QR code with a link to the website. Why make things more complicated and generate electronic waste for no reason?

Sometimes, people get stoked to have a Haiku-branded flash drive Sometimes. Nothing wrong with that.

my motivation would be to give away 16GB sticks, as they are the size of the recomended os default.

Just to show how great haiku runs, even on a usb. Without peeps having to overwrite any OS to try.

I agree with pulkomandy, no point in using bad drives. I’d rather forego the branding and buy good ones if branded ones are not reliable.

1 Like